Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How does notubes milk actually seal the deal?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I presumed that it was some kind of liquid latex that glued punctures tight after exposure to air.
    However, I have a small tear in a tyre (approx 2mm) which gave up the ghost on sunday and I had a nightmare getting it to reseal.

The fluid has the ‘crystals’ suspended in it, are these designed to group and plug a hole? and are they supposed to turn solid like a patch?

What is actually going on with this stuff?

grantway
    Free Member

Probably full fat 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Magic, mostly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    13thfloormonk

Yeah, I tried some Joe’s which didn’t have any crystals and it was next to useless, would perhaps just manage a seal and then next rotation of the tyre would unseal again, cue lots of jets of wheelmilk everywhere and snickering mates still running tubes.

Think the solution to anything bigger than a pinhole is to buy a proper repair kit which has some little rubber strips that you bung into the hole giving the latex something to seal around. I used to carry lots of lengths of knotted wool for the same job although never had a chance to test the theory…

slimjim78
    Free Member

can I clean the inside of the tyre and simply patch it with a standard tube repair patch?

molgrips
    Free Member

Liquid latex works; Stans just has particles in it which make it better. The particles are small which is why it won’t seal bigger tears. How could it?

I’ve had Stans seal some tears though caused by running over glass.

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

can I clean the inside of the tyre and simply patch it with a standard tube repair patch?

Yup.

bigjim

I had stan’s fluid seal the hole in the pourer nozzle – I think as it was at the bottom there were lots of particles, pretty impressive though!

Have you kept yours topped up? You are supposed to do it every 3-4 months I think – I didn’t do it for 4 months and it had dried out meaning it didn’t seal a puncture I got.

FuzzyWuzzy

Mine was still runny after 14 months when I replaced a tyre recently…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How does notubes milk actually seal the deal?’ is closed to new replies.