Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • How does my Garmin Edge 705 work out the Virtual Trainer stuff?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Did a ride last night, same ride as I did on Monday, so last night I created a Course from Monday’s ride and Followed it. I was able to see my location and a comparison on the altitude profile and map to Monday’s ride. I’m also able to see an exact measurement of how far ahead or behind I was.

Route was 37 miles, basically uphill first half to the top of the Brickworks and then downhill all the way home. Felt really tired on the climbs, so was a lot slower up the big climb. At the bottom of the climb I was about half a mile behind, at the top I was 2 miles behind. So I’d lost 1.5 miles over a 3 mile climb. In my book that means I went up twice as fast on Monday, but I went up at 10mph last night. There’s no way I did 20mph on Monday as that’s about my flat pace!

Then all the way back I was slowly closing the gap, think I was faster down the big hill, but not once it levelled off. Got home 0.1 miles ahead. Then I compared the routes and was cycling for 2.5 minutes less overall last night. Which would be roughly 0.8 miles ahead.

I haven’t a clue what the calculation Garmin does is, nothing seems to make sense! I thought it would be time based, so where was I on Monday after 30mins etc, but then the gap would close up massively at the start of a big climb and wind out rapidly once the leader was over the crest of the hill due to the relative speed difference at each point in time.

Confused!

Cheers.

Oggles
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware it just uses the exact position/time data from your last ride.

Then if you create a course on something like bikeroutetoaster you input an average speed which can be slowed for climbing hills. Unfortunately it can’t be changed real time for headwinds where you can barely do 15mph!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘How does my Garmin Edge 705 work out the Virtual Trainer stuff?’ is closed to new replies.