Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How does motion control work?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’m just about to service my Pikes and I’m wondering, just out of curiosity how the motion control bits work? Can’t find any info on how it works and I have to know. I’ve not opened the forks up yet but the piccies of the motion control innards look interesting. Thanks.

DickBarton

It works by controlling motion…apparently…

Other than that, I’ve no idea, sorry…

Simon

It’s basically a plastic tube thing full of holes and some oil.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spock
    Free Member

the lockout works by there being a hole at the bottom of the cartridge which when the lockout if off, lets oil flow through ,but when on stops the oil from flowing.

Oggles
    Free Member

There is a valve at the bottom of the cartridge which the oil flows through as the fork compresses. Turning the dial changes the size of the hole. Smaller hole = restricted oil flow. So when the valve is closed (locked out) there is no oil going through at all, and the fork won’t travel any further than the air space between the cartridge and the oil bath.

The cartridge will compress under a big impact thanks to all those cutouts, then the ‘floodgate’ bit is opened to let oil through as normal.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

It’s basically a plastic tube thing full of holes and some oil.

Haha! Maybe the plastic thing is a spare salad strainer for out on the trail.

Thanks Oggles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How does motion control work?’ is closed to new replies.