Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How does FOD Enduro course compare to Cwmcarn Twrch Trail?
  • dai-m
    Free Member

Just picked up bike to get fit again and noticed on here FOD doing a Enduro race at the end of Sept, How do the climbs compare to Cwmcarn as that’s what I struggle on at the moment. 😉

Cheers Dai

Janesy
    Free Member

Notmuch in the way of climbs. Cwmcarn is harder.
    Although I won’t be doing it if wet like last year.

stugus
    Free Member

Cwmcarn is a lot harder climb both technically and height wise imho.

cheers_drive

The Cwmcarn climb is tough and the route has plenty of small rocks. FoD is very smooth and the climbing is easy, the final descent however is excellent – better than anything at Cwmcarn IMO.

stugus
    Free Member

See now I think the cwmcarn decent is better.its faster and a bit more natural it certainly gets the blood pumping more – saying that both are fun!
    I hear there’s a 2nd xc track in the pipe at Cwmcarn too

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

cheers_drive

Are you talking about the Verderers trail in the FOD? The OP is talking about the Enduro trail which is described as:-

Using some of the less used trails of the Sallow Vallets Inclosure, the course is a mixture of flowing rooty singletrack, technical climbing and descents, mostly on natural surfaces. This is one of the toughest courses on the enduro calandar.

mokl
    Free Member

The Forest Enduro will be on the Enduro Trail I would guess (it usually is). It is not really comparable to Cwm Carn at all – much more of a natural feel, quite soily and rooty in places. It’s nothing like the two armoured “official” xc trails at Sallowvallets. I personally think some of the sections are fairly challenging to ride fast. ymmv etc

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Don’t be put off even if it rains. It was a mudfest last year, and an absolute scream – sideways everywhere! The Cwmcarn trail is not really tough in a technical sense, but the first climb is a grueller. At the FOD, expect short, sharp climbs and lots of lovely flowy (natural) singletrack. The final descent in question is steeper than anything you’ll find at Cwmcarn (XC loop, anyway), but not as long. It’s also an excellent place to watch the carnage unfold if it’s wet. Great event, do it!!

lucien

Chalk and cheese IMHO.

FOD trail had me off and walking a couple of times the last time the enduring ran, and I can do 3 or 4 loops of the Cwmcarn trail on the trot and no dabbing

dai-m
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I live in Cwmcarn so will be riding around there a couple of times a week, when I used to DH we used to practice up the FOD every week so know how rooty it is up there. Think I’ll give it a go 😉

Cheers dai

cheers_drive

Sorry didn’t read the OP properly, ignore me 😳

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

FOD trail had me off and walking a couple of times the last time the enduring ran, and I can do 3 or 4 loops of the Cwmcarn trail on the trot and no dabbing

This has got me worried, is it really that much harder?

v666ern
    Free Member

This is one of the toughest courses on the enduro calandar.

i think i should get practising then, last time i checked i was in the only team…may get a podium yet! 😆

is it taking in the y2k, we rode that last week and it was gooood, i only really signed up to help find explore further tracks to link with dowies / henrys etc

dai-m
    Free Member

Hope the course is not as slick as the dh at the FOD today but great to watch, also good when my nephew comes 3rd in his first race 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How does FOD Enduro course compare to Cwmcarn Twrch Trail?’ is closed to new replies.