Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • How does Facebook know?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

How does Facebook know to recommend someone to me as a possible connection whose only connection to me is through someone that is not on Facebook? Yes I know this person yes I spent time with this person socially but I haven’t seen him in maybe five years and we have no mutual friends on Facebook, just a mutual friend who is not.

wiggles
    Free Member

Because you took your tin foil hat off didn’t you?

hot_fiat

It really is quite scary. Have you seen what the mobile messenger app is capable of doing?

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes I know this person yes I spent time with this person socially but I haven’t seen him in maybe five years

We talking about Dave, right?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dunno, but I’ve been hearing lots of strange stuff about how much information Facebook Messenger accesses. I haven’t looked into it that closely yet, so I’m not sure if it’s a tinfoil hat thing or not.

This is where you say that you don’t have Messenger installed on your phone isn’t it? 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Jamie pmsl.

Actually the only obvious way this works if he’s looked at me but not necessarily sent me a friend connection.

hot_fiat

Yes. Ist verboten in my house. I don’t want Zuckerberg listening to what I’m saying, never mind typing. he’s publicly said he wants to be able to auto tag when you watch tv programs or listen to music. Like shazam but for your life. The messenger app is the mechanism to get that onto your device.

righog
    Free Member

I use facebook a lot I find it useful for quite a lot of stuff, but I am thinking there must be a better way.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzGMcJ_DMLo[/video]

seven
    Free Member

this is more fun Location history. Using this I was able to work out what time I staggered home the other night after rather too many white russians 🙂

It only works if you keep yourself logged into google and location history switched on mind – but who doesn’t 🙂

maccruiskeen

It really is quite scary. Have you seen what the mobile messenger app is capable of doing?

Indeed – the messager app can poke quite deeply into all your digital and phone activity. It might not be the case that you or the person you’re being matched to that Facebook is getting data from but someone who has maybe had both of you in their email history in the past who has given Facebook permission to plunder their data. Certainly since the app was launched I’m getting recommendations for people that Facebook itself says I have no connections in common with, who I’ve had no personal or professional dealings with for over 20 years and no connections in common that I can imagine. It certainly suggests FB is using more than peoples address book to link people together.

Thats not to get all foil-hatted about it, its just counter productive, its just noise – if I’ve had no further dealings with some after a passing acquaintance two decades ago and made no correspondence or enquiry into them since and have no friends or correspondents in common… well thats a clue isn’t it?

Drac

It only works if you keep yourself logged into google and location history switched on mind – but who doesn’t

Me.

scotroutes

I’m not getting any of that. Is it possible there’s a privacy setting somewhere that I’ve enabled and you haven’t?

Drac

who I’ve had no personal or professional dealings with for over 20 years and no connections in common that I can imagine.

Except working with them 20 years ago so it may pick that up or friends of friends.

Righog that news report is full of rubbish.

seven
    Free Member

It only works if you keep yourself logged into google and location history switched on mind – but who doesn’t
    Me.

well how do you manage to fill in all the gaps in your life. Like how you were 200 miles from where you thought you were?

After reviewing my locations over the past year I beginning to suspect alien abduction might actually be a reality !

Actually I was being mildly sarcastic, and just pointing out to those that might not be aware of the full facts that they are being tracked, that you have the option to switch it off. Too subtly perhaps – soz

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Facebook will have a absolutely huge amount of data on all of it’s users and can infer an awful about connections you have even if they themselves aren’t on facebook. They can infer a lot of connections from shared social circles, location, likes etc, the power of big data is quite scary. Combine that with the fact that you’re only likely to remember the connections Facebook suggests that are people you actually know and it can seem all knowing at times.

seven
    Free Member

but I have to say, at least my data is kept in some pretty cool locations

Goole data centres

righog
    Free Member

Righog that news report is full of rubbish.

Yes I am aware that it is rubbish ( it is Fox news after all) it just reminds me that Facebook is not free ( as your link also showed)

I really wish I did not find it so useful* and there was an alternative which was not so invasive.

*My friends are scattered around the country and world, and I think more rides are organised through FB than any other way.

hot_fiat

not to get all foil-hatted about it, its just counter productive, its just noise

Exactly that – it’s become full of mindless drivel and adverts for things it thinks you might be interested in, be that people, applications, products or services.

I recently spent an evening unfollowing all the companies I’d “liked” in the last 7 or so years. It complained quite a bit about this and even tried to put a stop to my actions after about an hour. The end result, once it relented, is that I’ve now got a news feed which is predominantly about people that I actually know and like to hear from, a bit like it was 5 years ago.

righog
    Free Member

I recently spent an evening unfollowing all the companies I’d “liked” in the last 7 or so years. It complained quite a bit about this and even tried to put a stop to my actions after about an hour. The end result, once it relented, is that I’ve now got a news feed which is predominantly about people that I actually know and like to hear from, a bit like it was 5 years ago.

It would be good if you could separate friends and companies to different pages..I miss posts from friends due to them being swamped by other stuff, but I would still like to see the company stuff…is this possible ? or do you need to do what hot fiat did ?

hot_fiat

Set up another account?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I love how you have to “Like” a company in order to have a whinge at it on its Facebook page.

scotroutes

Stuff from companies is mostly just marketing. I’ve never seen the advantage in giving them the opportunity to spam my FB feed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh I don’t know, maybe, just maybe it’s a business or company who’s products you might like…

scotroutes

In which case I’ll go look for them when I want to buy something.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like to hear about new stuff that businesses, companies, bands, local pubs, etc etc whose profiles I like are coming out with. That’s all. If I’ve “Liked” it, then it’s not spam (to me) is it?

nealglover
    Free Member

Goole data centres

There’s nothing cool about Goole 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

it would be good if you could separate friends and companies to different pages..

Just put friends in a group, then view group posts 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

It is quite worrying. Facebook has started putting the (grownup) kids of folk who’ve done jobs for me, at the top of my ‘people you may know’ list – I’m not even friends with any of them on Facebook!? It must be using recent phone numbers.

The same with group suggestions – things are popping up to do with mental health…it either knows what I’ve browsed privately or is suggesting them because of a pdf I downloaded.

jamj1974

nealglover – Member
    Goole data centres
    There’s nothing cool about Goole

Beat me to it!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

One of my wife’s friends was moaning (on FB) about how they can “listen to you talk as the new messenger has access to your microphone). YOU’RE TYPING THIS ON FB!!!! ****.

Mind you, I did post a message to a mate about the feds listening in and it suggested I added Barack Obama as a friend.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just for reference I didn’t work with this person, they worked with my best mate who is resolutely leaving no digital footprint anywhere let alone FB.

The answer is far less sinister and for more simple I imagine. He searched for me, which is likely as we did see each other again at my mate’s 40th so him searching for my profile isn’t unlikely.

brant
    Free Member

Not facebook, but the iPhone “recent locations” thing is amazing/useful/scary/obvious

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=36198

vickypea
    Free Member

I think geetee is right – the other person searched for you in the past on FB.
    FB has been persistently nagging me for my mobile phone number for years, giving silly reasons like “your account is not secure without it”, but I refuse to give my number for no good reason.

officialtob
    Free Member

FB has been persistently nagging me for my mobile phone number for years, giving silly reasons like “your account is not secure without it”, but I refuse to give my number for no good reason.

Two-factor authentication when logging in from new devices is a good enough reason for me. Though it would make sense to get a PAYG sim card and use that number.. however I’m not that organised sadly..

slowoldman

There’s nothing cool about Goole

It’s got “oo”.

Drac

but I refuse to give my number for no good reason.

I’m sure you could find a reason not to give them it.

digga
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Stuff from companies is mostly just marketing. I’ve never seen the advantage in giving them the opportunity to spam my FB feed.

That is a necessary evil – one of the reasons why you and I can use FB for ‘free’. I use quotation marks and refer you to the phrase ‘free lunch’ by way of explanation.

I own two businesses (nothing to do with cycling) and have seen the FB ads from the other side. You do not know who you’re targeting, but merely link together keyword/interests and demographics to target your ads. I do occasionally see comments on promoted posts about “why am I seeing this crap on my FB” but on the whole, it does seem to be ‘useful’ for a lot of people and for the rest, they simply ignore.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some people are so scared they’ll be affected by advertising, they pay a monthly fee to stop it on some sites. 😯

I’m hoping to get away this weekend, I booked an IBIS but seemingly, they don’t allow e-cigs so I think I’ll just buy some of that nicorette spray.

wrecker
    Free Member

They aren’t having my telephone number at all. What possible reason could a flipping website have for needing my mobile number? If they want another level of security; ask for another email address or password or personal question as the banks do. Noticed that Yahoo mail wants my mobile number now too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘How does Facebook know?’ is closed to new replies.