Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • how does Coed y Brenin compare with Dalby?
  • brungle
    Free Member

We rode Dalby red for the first time a few weeks back, found it a bit of a slog towards the end but finished fine etc. In terms of fitness level requirements is Coed y Brenin the same as Dalby red or any harder?

Cheers

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Errr… you. will. die!!!

No, seriously… erm. CyB is pretty full on fitness-wise. It makes Dalby look like a walk in the park TBH. I have a feeling that ‘MBR’ is the easiest/shortest red trail, but that’s got some good slogs in it.

It’s plenty rocky in places too. A bit like the one short rock garden section at Dalby, but going on for 100s of meters, kinda.

Well worth a trip though, CyB is epic! 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

CyB is one of my favourite trail centres. Bigger climbs than Dalby and as a result, much bigger descents. Also seem to have used the land a lot better so you’ll find some really, really good undulating mega fast stuff which follows the hillsides – something they didn’t seem to do at Dalby much.

The Beast (the big one at CyB) is a big ride though. Dalby might be a similar distance but its flat in comparison. Well worth the trip…

brungle
    Free Member

lol thanks gents my legs are scared now

Duane…
    Free Member

Also seem to have used the land a lot better so you’ll find some really, really good undulating mega fast stuff which follows the hillsides – something they didn’t seem to do at Dalby much.

I thought that that was all there was at Dalby – there weren’t any big climbs or descents, just lots of flattish undulating pedally sections? Unless you were referring to the “really good” bit…

(I’ve not ridden CyB, although plan to this weekend)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

lol thanks gents my legs are scared now

Pffft!!

You need:

And plenty of MTFU

You’ll love it.

martinhutch

CYB is sufficiently interesting and fun that you won’t notice the effort as much. That’s the difference.

monkeyfarmer
    Free Member

For my money CyB is way bigger and offers more variety than Dalby. Dragons Back took me over 4 hrs to get around and I was GLAD to finish whereas I thought Dalby was good but only in parts.

Although Dalby did have a little pump track etc I think CyB was in the process (finished now?) of building a dedicated skills area.

coldhams1
    Free Member

I have never been to Dalby, but have been to CYB many time over the last decade. I have ridden all over the northern half of the country but still come back to CYB as my favourite trails. Easy to use, fun to ride, scary in many places(in a good way, if your going fast enough) and plenty of different trails to make it fun. The Minotaur route is fun at speed and easy to do as a warm up.

Hope you enjoy your trip, just off to plan a weekend away I think.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

CYB is a whole different BEAST!

I ride Dalby a lot, not just the red, but the black and off-piste trails, and I would say that they are like chalk and cheese, but depends on your route of torture choice, we did the Beast of Brenin but others are shorter and just as interesting. Enjoy it, try Coed Llandegla and Penmachno whilst your over that way as well 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rocks, the difference.
    Launch off drops on false teeth landing in the bottom of the bomb hole is just about all right 😉

footstomper
    Free Member

Don’t be put off because of the ‘its a slog’ comments, yes there are some climbs but done at a pace you are happy with especially going up and you will find it one of the most enjoyable trail centres around.

Im fifty with a bit of a gut which is getting harder to shift 😥 & not very fit by any stretch, but the last time I did the Beast (12 months ago) I enjoyed it so much that I had lunch & a bit of a rest at the cafe and did it again.

Just get there & enjoy 😀

Northwind

The Beast is a big ride but it’s also a long ride- it’s not one to hurry round. So it ends up not being as hard as you might expect. Takes more out of me burning round Glentress red in a couple of hours than going round the Beast in a whole day (especially with a cafe stop!)

brungle
    Free Member

Well we did dragons back and thoroughly enjoyed it. We actually rode the last uphill twice due a massive fail and us accidentally following some orange by mistake at the start of the day , but we turned round and did the full red including that massive fire road climb before the Adams family descents which were epic!

Didn’t find anything too technically challenging for us and it was a great day. We will do the beast next time.

Weather was scorchio and good times had by all. 🙂

We will deffo be back to Wales.

steve_b77
    Free Member

All of it is great, there’s not as much climbing as you think when you actually look at it.

The Beast has around 900m in 38km and Dragons Back is just over 700m in 32km, best trail there IMO is Tarw Du, more old school and proper rocky.

The Minor Taur blue trail is a riot if smooth, fast trail with rollers, mini steps, little tables and an awesome bermed switch back area. 9km of flat out, on the rivet XC’ness

eyerideit
    Free Member

I have a feeling that ‘MBR’ is the easiest/shortest red trail

MBR is a 18K Black

Temtiwr is the shortest red trail at 8.5K

CyB is well worth a visit.

Make sure you do Pink Heffer and Dreamtime for some good old fashioned singletrack loveliness.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘how does Coed y Brenin compare with Dalby?’ is closed to new replies.