Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How did I ever manage before owning these
  • nsaints
    Free Member
    shedfull
    Free Member

Amen to that. I've read numerous posts about powerlinks literally falling apart if you had the technique but I've failed dismally to master it. Lots of other people clearly haven't got this magic knack either as Park make a tool, too.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Good aren't they.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

An essential bit of kit. If you don't have one treat yourself now.

STATO
    Free Member

Seriously? its SOOO easy to do it, just push the faces of the plates together and slide, job done. Next youll be saying you poitevly HAVE to use a headset press (when a hammer and skill is all you need).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Or you can use a zip tie – slightly cheaper that £7:99

scaredypants

bit of bent coathanger for me – easy to carry in a backpack or pocket. after all, the only place you "need" those pliers is on the trail. at home you could just clean off the kacky chain & do it by hand, shirley ?

uplink
    Free Member

As STATO

I really do find it so easy to open them
    It's worth persevering & learning the knack in case you need to open one when out somewhere

thomthumb
    Free Member

Seriously?

+1

Kahurangi

Got my technique nailed.

Can be tricky if the chain's very gunky, but those are not tools I'm going to carry out on the trail with me. At home, I'd rather spend the money saved on beers!

nsaints
    Free Member

ziptie's – coat hangers – WTF
    I get a certain satifisfaction from having the right tools for the job

oh yeah and I'm a soft southener – incase your wondering 😆

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A tool for opening Powerlinks?

Jeezus.

scotbike
    Free Member

another one here – it really is worth persevering as it's a faff to have yet another tool, especially one that isn't exactly trailside friendly. I think it's down to having the special link really clean, a tiny bit of grit can clog up the sliding action. First time I managed to split the chain tool free, after ages of struggling, with only colourful language to assist me, I was as delighted as you are with your lovely new pliers. It works best if you push the chain together, so that the paltes of the speacial link are at 90 to the rest of the chain, then pinch the plate mid point between the rivets. once you've got the knack, s'easy – honest.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

last week it took me longer to pop the chain link than it did to fit and set up a new front mech.
    thanks for the link a new tool will be ordered for an old tool to use!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Them plier things is cheating, just like tyre levers 😉

Still, I do love my headset press 😎

mrben100
    Free Member

Surely the next step
    🙄

scotbike
    Free Member

the next step? disappointed, was hoping for 'robots in disguise' there 😮

mrben100
    Free Member

Don't be preposterous, that would be going too far! 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Try Connex links. They are tool free. And not SRAM tool free, where you need a tool, they are tool free as in you don't need a tool. Promise!

DezB
    Free Member

Hilarious!

Next essential purchase – a quick release opening tool!

Crag
    Free Member

I thought a Powerlink was supposed to enable you to split a chain without tools?

If you need tools to split a powerlink then you may as well join the chain properly and buy a proper chain tool. A solution to a problem that doesn't/shouldn't exist IMO.

philconsequence
    Free Member

bloody hell, what about suspension on a bike… you dont need it to get down a hill but it does make it that little bit quicker and easier?!

if the OP is happy with his purchase, then its a good purchase IMO

(might not be something i would buy… but its not my money so who cares!)

cheers_drive

It is technique,jus one I haven't always got!
    However I've have now got a Connex Wipperman chain and the quick link things is so easy to use and isn't badly affected by grit.

IHN

What RealMan says.

SRAM powerlinks are bobbins compared to da shizzle that is the Connex link

mtbfix

Got the Park one in the shed. They rock!

younggeoff

long nose pliers work too 🙂

shedfull
    Free Member

Now, is there a tool to unclip my shoes from the pedals? 😉

robdob
    Free Member

I think I can agree with both sides here. When I first started using Powerlinks I found them really easy to split, but I struggle sometimes nowadays. No idea why. Anyway, I could split them while on a ride if I had to but a tool for the job in the workshop would save a lot of faff.

RealMan
    Free Member

Ok everyone watch and learn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IiCQLJTcj4

Connex quick links. Even after half a ton of mud and lube and in freezing conditions and at night they are still so ridiculously easy to open. I think you can buy them from wiggle. Very good quality too, never heard of any breaking.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How did I ever manage before owning these’ is closed to new replies.