Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How do you watertight the top of your boots?
  • moose2008
    Free Member

How do you stop water entering the top of your ” waterproof ” winterboots? I’ve used lots of different boots and can’t seem to solve this problem. I’ve been reccommended gaffer tape, cut up marigolds, gators, bin liners, elastic bands and many other remedies.
    What do you think is the best solution?

donsimon
    Free Member

Merino socks.

Stoner
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simondbarnes

I use waterproof tights that go over the top of the boot. Water then runs straight down to the ground 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve given up. All my gore-tex boots seem to leak. No, not coming in over the top, I can fill them with water and stand them in the bath and it leaks out. Every flippin’ pair!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

similar to simon^. It might be a bit naff, but Ronhills with the stirrups on the outside. splashes and mud then run down the pants and off, not down into your boots.

druidh
    Free Member

Cut the wrist part off a pair of household rubber gloves and use that as a gasket.

moose2008
    Free Member

Stoner
    Let me know how they go and be sure to repost. I’m starting to think that the more ridicilous something looks, the better it might work.
    SDB
    Didn’t know that you could get waterproof tights, are they tight fitting? don’t you overheat in them?

simondbarnes

Didn’t know that you could get waterproof tights, are they tight fitting? don’t you overheat in them?

Tight fitting and yes, pretty warm. I have Endura Stealth Lite which aren’t as warm as the stealths but needs to be <10C for me to use them.

speaker2animals

Super glue an “O” ring to each calf and then superglue the “O” ring to my boots inner surface.

My eldest brother in law (in his mid 80s) tells me that as kids they were sewn in to a one piece body suit (with fly and bum flap obviously. They weren’t savages you know!) for the winter months to keep em warm and healthy.

Nice! (if not an old brother-in-laws tale).

jojoA1
    Free Member

The Marigold ‘gasket’ works. I find it’s best to use them over the top of waterproof socks rather than the boots. YOu just have to make sure your big toenails haven’t eaten through the socks and let water in elsewhere.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I made 4 inch long tubes out of wetsuit material a couple of winters ago to stop water getting in my boots and they’re brill. I wouldn’t ride without them in cold, wet conditions now.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Cut the wrist part off a pair of household rubber gloves and use that as a gasket.

Ditto this.

Cheap and effective.

jedi

i fill mine with bath sealant 🙂

moose2008
    Free Member

Jedi
    Do you mean silicone sealant around the top of your boots, between the boot and your leg? Does it just set like a plastic seal and then peal out in a strand at the end of the ride? How long does it take to set and how easy is it to get off, is it messy?

JimSu
    Free Member

I use walking gaiters below knee, strapped under boot.
    Works for me, cheap from Decathlon.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

The drysuit seal works great. Possibly I went OTT at the brecon beast last Sunday; but in order of application….drysuit cuff, Bonty overshoes, sealskin socks, shoes. After 5+ hrs in very wet conditions I finished with dry feet; my mate poured about 1/2 pint out of each of his sealskinz socks!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Tried for years with winter stuff that just made my feet even more cold. Now just use summer shoes that allow water to get out rather than keeping it in like most winter products and use cheap marks and Spencer wool ankle socks. Feet get wet but are never cold!

mocha
    Free Member

just get wet feet, they stay warm which is the main thing.

moose2008
    Free Member

If you stop the water getting into the top of your boots do you think that your boots would still fill with water runnig down your legs. I wear winter tights which are obviously tight to the skin, would water still travel down the leg or would it be negligable do you think?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How do you watertight the top of your boots?’ is closed to new replies.