Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How do you turn the page on a Kindle Paperwhite?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I had one of the original Kindles (until I left it on an aeroplane!) and liked having buttons on the bezel to turn the page, rather than having to swipe on the touchscreen. I see the Voyager has physical buttons but is blooming expensive for an e-book reader.

So I don’t have to resort to going to an actual bricks and mortar shop, what can you tell me?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Smart arse. If I’d wanted cheeky mockery I would have asked the question on the STW forum…oh 😳

Any practical real world experience or advice or is my question destined to be on page 2 of the forum by the end of the day?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

You just flip it over.

annebr
    Free Member

What am I missing?

You turn the page by touching the screen on the Paperwhite. Just as you said. Touch the left side to go back a page and the right side to go forward a page. 😕

wicki
    Free Member

touch the screen on right side for forward left for back top of screen for menu.I prefer the keyboard one as well but mine just died.

stumpy01

Tapping the screen almost anywhere will send it forward a page. To send it back a page you need to tap much closer to the left hand edge.

Tapping the screen at the top brings up the menu allowing you to access the Kindle Store, change settings, go to ‘home’ etc.

Tapping the very bottom of the screen changes the book stats & cycles through things like ‘time left in chapter’, ‘percentage of book complete’, ‘location in book’ etc.

You can add a bookmark by tapping the very top corner, but I’ve never found a real life need for that.

Northwind

Yeah, it’s not swipe though, just tap. Only drawback comes when there’s footnotes as if you tap a bit of the page with a footnote you end up over there instead

convert

I’d like the voyage squeeze feature but not sure I use mine enough to justify paying the extra. There are times (lying in bed or a sun lounger with the book in the air above my head held in one hand) where it’s a bit fiddly to release a finger to tap without dropping the thing. Lazy I know!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^this. This is exactly what I liked about the old Kindle I had.

aracer
    Free Member

Means you can go back and check something earlier in the book, and then go back to where you were. Or at least that’s what I’ve used it for.

Kahurangi

you can either tap on the RHS or swipe to go fwd, tap on LHS or swipe to go back.

I’d rather have a button. Trying to read in sub zero temperatures would be much more comfortable being able to keep a glove on my hand!

Northwind

Get a touchscreen compatible glove/patches for your gloves?

aracer
    Free Member

or use your nose – also applies to convert’s issue

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Maybe I just need an (old) Kindle with buttons and a head torch 😀

hjghg5
    Free Member

I bought the voyage for precisely this reason. Much prefer actual buttons.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Got a new (basic) Kindle which is touch-screen only. Really bugs me as it’s way too easy to accidentally touch the page just by brushing the screen with the fingers you’re using to hold it.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are tons of new, refurbed and used older style Kindles on ebay. Get one of those, they are cheaper anyway.

I got a paperwhite after doing what the OP did, and whilst I prefer the buttons, and I turn off the backlight (which is what makes it paper white – without the backlight it’s the same as other Kindles) the software is way better. Supports shared books natively, for a start, and is generally quicker. It also has cool new features like being able to bring up a small page and turn that quickly so you can flick back through the book to check something, then you return to where you were. And x-ray is good if your book is in it – a sort of mini wikipedia about the book you are reading, so you can click a name and it’ll remind you of who that person is in the book with some facts… or places and suchlike. And you can get actual wikipedia info the same way, they come up in a little window. Tis ace.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How do you turn the page on a Kindle Paperwhite?’ is closed to new replies.