Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How do you stop cranks coming loose?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

On my SS roadbike (carerra subway zero) I've got truvative isoflow cranks on a square taper BB and every time I take it out the non drive crank arm starts to work loose. I've tightened the he'll out of it but the same always happens.

Any ideas?

bobgarrod
    Free Member

you've damaged internal taper of the crank arms by overtightening. try loctite applied generously to the taper on the bb and then tighten – little bit loctite on threads.

rs
    Free Member

the only solution is to buy shimano, seriously 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Probably not fitted correctly to start with, once they've been ridden loose the taper they rely on gets distorted and won't hold.A new crank (correctly fitted ) is your best bet, usually cost in the region of £11 for similar quality.

stevede
    Free Member

Had this issue with most truvativ cranks i've owned – every time i've replaced with shimano as a reliable fix!
    Try some loctite, should last longer before coming loose and if you plan on sticking with them, always take a multi tool out with you.

Marge
    Free Member

Whilst you're mentioning Shimano I had quite some issues with my old LX crank. Repeatedly came loose….
    I also have XT 760, 770, XTR 960, 970 amongst others all that have been faultless!
    In the end the only way to keep the LX on the axle was to remove the little clip that sits in the slot on the crank end to allow more deflection & loctite the bolts in.

Coyote
    Free Member

Had the same on a pair of Truvativs I owned. Would never touch them again.

clubber
    Free Member

This:

bobgarrod – Member
    you've damaged internal taper of the crank arms by overtightening. try loctite applied generously to the taper on the bb and then tighten – little bit loctite on threads.

davidjey
    Free Member

One bodge worth trying is inserting a home-made shim to take up the 'slack' caused by the damage to the taper. A sliver of coke can works well. You *may* get a bit more life out of them this way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

New crank needed, £11 or so? (confess I have not tried a loctite repair).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How do you stop cranks coming loose?’ is closed to new replies.