Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • How do you stop a 2yr old sucking their thumb?
  • Smee
    Free Member

Dentist reckons we need to get our 2yr old to stop sucking his thumb. Any ideas how?

nickc

paint it with something that tastes nasty? Chilli perhaps

druidh
    Free Member

Cut it off?

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

nickc – exactly what I was going to say hah! Bit cruel but the wee fecker would soon learn!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sew its lips together.

miketually
    Free Member

You can get stuff that’s meant to stop nail biting – clear nail varnish that tastes horrible. Stop’n’grow?

miketually
    Free Member

You could wire her jaw shut, but she’d only blend it and drink it through a straw. No, wait, that’s fat people and pies, isn’t it?

mangoridebike

Why would you want to stop it?

Drac

Yup you can get that but I wouldn’t yse it on a 2 year old, both my kids suck there thumbs the eldest is nearly 6 not caused a single dental problem.

Fagus
    Free Member

When I was young…….
    I know it’s a long time ago, but my mum used to have a stick of something that she rubbed on my thumbs. It tasted awful, but stopped me sucking. They were fairly common, back then. I presume the food police, the elfin safety police, the child protection police and the NHS police have outlawed them by now. It would be worth asking at a chemist. No idea what they were called. Alternatively you could bandage the thumbs up with something untasty inside – germolene might be a deterrent!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is it not called something like ‘bitter alo’ – spelling on the last bit obvioulsy way out.

Coyote
    Free Member

Dentist is talking shite.

DezB
    Free Member

It can lead to an overbite.
    My niece sucked her thumb til she was about 15, changed the shape of her jaw.
    I would’ve thought 2 is a bit early to worry about it though.
    Give her something else to suck. A dummy?

Drac

Nah! That’s just an excuse for having ugly kids.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Napalm

hora
    Free Member

I used to have a girlfriend who still sucked her thumb (we were 14). Darn.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Getting used to the size was she, Hora?
    😈

Smee
    Free Member

BTW – his normally implies that the person concerned is male.

He sucks his thumb a lot and it is apparently pushing his lower jaw back. Dentist in question is pretty high up the food chain.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Is it your first or second child and are they both boys?

Smee
    Free Member

This one is the eldest and they are both boys. What are the odds of that? 😉

pk-ripper
    Free Member

chop his feet off. a lot more to worry about than thumb sucking then.

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

My in-laws had a similar problem with their daughter and had a conversation with the dentist something like this…

Dentist (to parent): Your daughter needs to stop sucking her thumb – its pushing her top teeth forward.

Parent: Don’t tell me, I’m not sucking her thumb. Tell her!

Dentist (feeling silly, to child): You need to stop sucking your thumb because its giving you bad teeth

Child (takes thumb out of mouth, looks at thumb, then dentist): I’ll do it tomorrow.
    (starts sucking thumb again)…

But…. the day after, she stopped – so it worked!

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

As suggested paint some chilli oil on his nails BUT don’t put any innocent bystander on their backs when he starts crying with the foul taste and they rush to see if they can help him.

Drac

Or indeed when he then rubs his eyes with his hands now covered in chilli oil.

GrahamS

Dip his thumb in vinegar?

Less harmful than chilli oil, but same general effect.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Kid’s gonna end up like this:

😆

But in all honesty I know a few kids who have suffered from dental issues from thumb sucking, but at 2 I’d ahve thought it was a bit young surely?! Mind you, I’m not a dental doctor so I’d have thought they’d know best.

Stop-bite is the answer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My next door neighbour sucks his thumb on the q.t. – I see him in his kitchen sometimes looking at the tv and having a good old suck.

He also cries if he gets frustrated with something.

He’s in his early thirties!!!!

Drac

Indeed the dentist should know best, Dental Association says it’s fine until they have there adult teeth.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

or even “adult teeth there” Drac, or maybe just “their adult teeth” 😯

Drac

Ooops! Sorry.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I have a minor overbite from sucking my thumb. I did suck it til I was 15 though (only at night for the last few years) My parents tried to stop me by using ‘stop ‘n’ grow’ and ‘nilbite’ when I was 7 or 8 but it made me really upset and I felt sad and miserable when I couldn’t suck it.

I would see how the wee one responds to attempts to stop the thumb sucking and if it’s too distressing, accept that braces might be needed in the future. My overbite is cosmetic and does not affect dental health otherwise, I’d check whether the predicted ‘damage’ will be simply cosmetic.

ebygomm
    Free Member

My Mum used to read me the story of Little Suck a Thumb

One day, Mamma said, “Conrad dear, I must go out and leave you here. But mind now, Conrad, what I say, Don’t suck your thumb while I’m away. The great tall tailor always comes To little boys that suck their thumbs. And ere they dream what he’s about He takes his great sharp scissors And cuts their thumbs clean off, – and then You know, they never grow again.”

Mamma had scarcely turn’d her back, The thumb was in, alack! alack!
    The door flew open, in he ran, The great, long, red-legged scissorman. Oh! children, see! the tailor’s come And caught our little Suck-a-Thumb. Snip! Snap! Snip! the scissors go; And Conrad cries out – Oh! Oh! Oh! Snip! Snap! Snip! They go so fast; That both his thumbs are off at last.

Mamma comes home; there Conrad stands, And looks quite sad, and shows his hands;- “Ah!” said Mamma “I knew he’d come To naughty little Suck-a-Thumb.”

It didn’t work by the way, although I gave up of my own accord around age 7

Drac

Anyway what’s the worst that could happen?

Smee
    Free Member

Turns out that the boy likes that taste of chilli oil….

Great….

woody2000

Stick his thumbs up his bum, pretty sure he won’t suck them after that 🙂

One of these?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Its bloody shame that kids cannot be kids – stuff the dentist – tell the child can have braces fitted when its older if necessary.
    Control freaks..

Smee
    Free Member

Given that it appears to be changing the shape of the roof of his mouth I am willing to take away that little bit of childhood that is thumbsucking.

Drac

**** hell how much thumb sucking does he do?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

So when does the sucking of the thumb take place – during sleep ? or anytime during the day ?
    Anytime during the day can be helped by distracting the lad, but at night there is not a lot to be done – maybe a dummy at night ?

Smee
    Free Member

Drac – Not that much. Apparently it was something to do with him resting his hand on his chin and his thumb acting like a lever on the roof of his mouth.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘How do you stop a 2yr old sucking their thumb?’ is closed to new replies.