Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • how do you secure your bike to prevent theft from your home?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

what are people using/whats good?

uplink
    Free Member

He’s called Kasch

SaxonRider

I sleep with mine.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

2 of mine live in the dining room, much to the Mrs annoyance..

The other 3 live in the shed.

Locked up.

Oh, and we have a dog..

Not that he would be any good as a deterent, more he wakes up if he hears any noise in the yard, and therefore its 1 up.. all up.

theflatboy
    Free Member

mine live in my lounge (though out of necessity rather than choice)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Uni: bike under bed in halls, bike in cellar in student house. Never had a problem, but didnt have a car so couldnt be followed home (youd have to be folowing me on quickly on a bike or very slowly by car)

Parents home: bike kept 3rd floor flat, nto innacessible (there is a flat roof leading upto our window) but you’d have to know it was there somehow, and plenty of cheeper bikes in the garden shed (and neighbours sheds) to distract burglars.

Currrent house: no nice bikes, too risky and an arse for a landlord.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mine mostly live in the shed. The shed is fairly firmly locked. The better bikes are attached to a ground anchor using a motorcycle chain. I recollect whenever I think about it that they are not that great, are heavily insured and are only stuff anyway. 🙂

shortcut

garage hooked up to house burglar alarm with ability to set garage only! extra £50 when the house was built, money well spent.

i test it regularly much to the annoyance of neighbours. go to garage – open door – alarm goes off – rush into house unset alarm – get bike out! 😳

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

12 bikes in the garage which has a flimsy up and over style door one end and a wood+frosted glass door the other. They aren’t locked inside the garage as one they are in there, if the whole village isn’t awake then locks are simply a matter of more time. The garage is linked in with a PIR to the alarm as well but we never turn it on at night.

similar to BigD

I pay insurance for them and they are only ‘stuff’. Albeit rather lovely stuff.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

All bikes locked in concrete shed attached to the house with a steel grate over the (small and locked) window. All bikes locked together and then ground anchored to the wall and floor with separate chains locks. To gain access, you need to go through at least two doors, one of which will be a UPVC ‘front door’ style multi-point locking joby and the heavy gauge steel door on the shed which is secured by three pad locks. Oh, and the shed is alarmed as well.

The only downsides:

– The bikes share the shed with the chest freezer and it can be a bit of a chore getting through all the locks in a hurry (wife not best pleased at this! 😉
    – Even at this level, I’m quite paranoid (have been known to ride round the block if there are suspicious lookign scrouts about when I get home etc) and realise that ‘if they want it, they’ll get it’, so the MTB’s generally live in the loft as I’ve not been usung them much, which means they get used even less 🙁

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mine are regulary patrolled by a wildcat.

Haze

odannyboy
    Free Member

bristolbiker im with you on

Even at this level, I’m quite paranoid (have been known to ride round the block if there are suspicious lookign scrouts about when I get home etc) and realise that ‘if they want it, they’ll get it’

i had two motorcycles stolen in the past and they smashed throu the garage and even thou it is surrounded by houses no one saw! many locks and ground anchors required i belive!

thing is it could all still be stripped of components…..

jam-bo

live in a nice part of the world where crime isn’t really a problem.

and a decent home insurance policy just in case.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Common sense and good habits – ie not being complacent – go a long way.

Sounds obvious, but making sure your stuff isn’t on display, is locked together / to something. Good and full insurance. Don’t think ‘Oh, it’ll be alright for a minute.’ it won’t.

My bikes are stored in such a way that means the handlebars are turned to the side and the pedals are off. Means that a bike can’t be ridden away and should one is nicked, a Police Officer would be suspicious enough as to why a legitimate owner of a bike doesn’t have the pedals or the handle bars turned the right way.

Use more than one lock too.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yes, the shed is storage and the ‘workshop’ – i.e., whilst I don’t leave the tools on the bench, it wouldn’t take a genius to work out where they are, so all the kit is there to strip the bike down if they did get in.

I had though about building a lockable area under the bench to keep the tools in to at least slow them down (which I may still do – I custom built the bench from steel box sectionto fit the shed, so any ‘extras’ are but a but a few welds away!! ;-), but if they bought a multi-tool with them, that would be enough to clean most bits off the frame. This is essentially what the alarm is for – if they do get in, hopefully it will deter them from hanging around long enough to start stripping the bikes down as they can’t be walked out of the shed quickly.

My biggest worry is, if they do get in once, but can’t get away with anything they’ll come back again better prepared…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mine live in the flat behind 3 locked doors and 100+ stairs

lowey

Mine is in the garage. Big steel column concreted into the floor and a New york lock securing the bike to that.

sq225917
    Free Member

One lives on the bookcase in my office, and the other two are in the kitchen, Sheffield is nice, no one steals bikes here……

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Best one lives in my spare bedroom, others live in a steel box, which is alarmed & covered by cctv!

ransos
    Free Member

Mine are in the garage, secured by ground anchors & big chains. Garage is alarmed & locked. I’ve no doubt theiving scum could still get my bikes if they really wanted them, but they’d have to be properly tooled up plus be prepared to spend some time – which rules out most burglars I would think.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brigade of Ghurkas.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘how do you secure your bike to prevent theft from your home?’ is closed to new replies.