Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How do you remove grips from carbon bars ?
  • bigdan6
    Free Member

As above.

I have a set of non lock-on Yeti grips which I would like to remove from my carbon bars and use on another bike.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

alfabus
    Free Member

pull

binners

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup – squirt lube (pref water based) under the grips and wiggle 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

I used to lean the bike over into a hot tub of water + fairy, leave for 5 minutes, then they come off nice and easily. I use the same method for putting them on.

Paceman
    Free Member

I used to lean the bike over into a hot tub of water + fairy, leave for 5 minutes, then they come off nice and easily. I use the same method for putting them on.

Good tip Milkie 😀

alfabus
    Free Member

I used to lean the bike over into a hot tub

what about those of us without jacuzzis? would a regular bath work?

Milkie
    Free Member

I found a Pyrex measuring jug worked out fine. 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

Nice one Milkie, might try that.
    Failing that get a zip tie as far underneath as you can and then dribble some olive oil down it (it’s not ‘proper’ oil so doesn’t harm the rubber)
    Then get some Lockons.

IA

Just tug real hard. Fnaarr.

hugor
    Free Member

Get a pump needle attachment for footballs and slip it underneath the grip. Get somebody to pump whilst another twists the grip off.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lift edge of grip and squirt GT85 under it.

Done this loads and my carbon bars haven’t fallen apart… yet.

honourablegeorge

honourablegeorge

This sounds dumb, but genuinely does work – make a small hole in the end, and insert a pump with one of those needles for inlating a football on the end

Pump it up, and the grips will fly off. You’ll need to use tape or something on the open end once the first one’s off.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’ve tried the oil and the pump techniques in the past and failed – and ended up cutting through grips with scissors or small bolt cutters without damaging carbon bars. And switched to lock-ons

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Push them off using the brake lever or shifter clamp. Pulling makes them tighter.

br
    Free Member

or just buy another pair…

Hammer
    Free Member

Go to a workshop and ask to borrow their airline/blow gun… works like the bike pump but with more ooompf!

Makes funny farting noises at the same time… he he..

Hammer.

pickle
    Free Member

WD40…..push the straw under the edge and squirt, then just twist and work it round

tablesalt
    Free Member

sledge hammer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How do you remove grips from carbon bars ?’ is closed to new replies.