Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • how do you put photos on
  • gregs891
    Free Member

hi how do you put photos on singletrack with your post

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[ img ] enter your pic’s url here (Right click and copy/paste the properties) [ /img ]

WIthout the spaces!

Drac
    mattsccm
    Free Member

the same thought had occurred to me so I followed the help line. Now I am puzzled, although I guess I’ll be told to lump it. what/why is the reason for pics to be somewhere out there on the web rather than my PC? It seems a ball ache to have to spend time and energy to do all that to just show a pic on a classified. Why can’t pic be posted directly? Obviously there is no reason why personal pics would be else where but my own PC. Unless of course I had posted them on another site thats less hassle. It has been enough to stop me bothering to use the classifieds. I know…. Luddite. Please explain some one under 30

dc2.0

because if you posted the pictures directly you’d be using up STW’s servers’ bandwidth, which costs them more. If you post a link to a photo on a server somewhere else (e.g. flickr) it’s the other site’s servers bandwidth that is consumed in delivering the picture to your web browser.

mattsccm
    Free Member

?

retro83
    Free Member

upload them on tinypic.com then copy the link and paste it into your post

dc2.0

when you run a website like STW you have to pay for the physical server that contains all the content including the forum. then you pay for the electricity. then you pay for the “bandwidth” (i.e. amount of data sent and received) used by the server. think of the bandwidth like the “minutes” in a mobile phone contract – you probably get some bundled, but for a heavy bandwidth (i.e. popular) site like STW you pay extra according to the extra amounts you use. So, you are paying for the priviledge of people downloading content from your site. When you, as the user, download a forum page from STW it is eithing using up their “minutes” or actually costing them money. If the STW site itself contains the pictures you want to see, then it costs STW more to provide them to you. If the forum page contains a *link* to another site, the “text” from the forum page is delivered to you from STW but the picture itself is fetched by *your* web browser from the other site – using their minutes.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I think I get it enough to remind me why I hate these bloody machines.TA. Ball ache.

mattsccm
    Free Member

More seriously I see what you are saying but can’t see why any one would bother to think ” oh yes what a nice thread , I” ll add to it. now lets find some where on the web to host my pics, check that there is no way that the could be accessed by anyone else, upload the pic, go back to STW, find the thread has move down a page, search for it (don’t start me on that), try and remember what I was thinking about to start with, witty replies and all then send in my pic”
    Methinks the phone would ring, I’ll be called for Tea, the bloody broadband would go off line and the bath would go cold about half way though. Now wheres that carrier pigeon? think I’ll go and annoy some one else on the TBM

mattsccm
    Free Member

forum

FoxyChick
    Free Member

mattsccm… most people who post piccies on here already have a Flickr account or similar, so don’t go through all the rigmarole(sp?) you describe above!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘how do you put photos on’ is closed to new replies.