Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • How do you pronounce ‘Dolgellau’?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

As above, wondering what the correct way to say Dolgellau (the place in Wales near C-Y_B) is.

Thanks

Sandwich

Doll Geth Ley

crazy-legs

Doll Geth Lie
    Doll Geth Lee

both correct

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

with difficulty.

It involves that welsh phleghm sound.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Doll Geth ‘ch’lee

how the hell to you phonetically write ‘ll’ 😯

crazy-legs

Unless you’re American in which case Doller Geh Loo seems to be the approved pronounciation.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right. The LL sound is pronounced by putting your tongue as if you are going to say an L then blowing.

So it’s dol gell eye

It’s NOT dol gethl eye or dol gech lie or anything else.

molgrips
    Free Member

Crazy legs, the au is ai not ee.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Talking of pronouncing stuff, what about “Thule”, bike rack people?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

‘tooler’

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dolgellau

Simple really

crazy-legs

Crazy legs, the au is ai not ee.

IME it can be either, I know Welsh people who pronounce it both ways although ‘ai’ does seem to be more common.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Llllgh….llllwlwll….lllghhlll…lflflwlwllhhllll….

No. Can’t do it. 🙁

IHN

To misquote Bill Bryson, Wales is full of places with names that sound like a cat coughing up a hairball 🙂

whytetrash

Dol gech lie…will get you near enough I reckon

tool eh….the rack pronunciation, not the initial poster 😆

Tongue in roof of mouth and breath out whilst speaking will work just practice needed (and a clear area in front of you!)

re place names never forget some English mates visiting me …couldn’t get over the fact that my village name had no vowels in it!

mudshark
    Free Member

My Welsh Gran says Doll Geth Lee.

Many people pronounce other Welsh places in an English manner, e.g. Llandudno, and think that’s fine but Dolgellau sounds completely different so Doll Geh Loo must be wrong but then that means that Lan Dud no is wrong too then? What say you?

project
    Free Member

Traveling by train a few years ago, from swindon to London, two americans asked if the train stopped at,
    slofgh, or slooo, s-loou, eventually they said where they make mars bars, they meant SLOUGH.

project
    Free Member

Me and a mate stopped in a small pub , in mid wales a few years ago, wnt in and the pub looked as if it was out of the 50,s, so went to the bar and ordered 2 pints, handed over a tenner, and the drinks where slopped acreoss the counter, the fiver change was dropped in the spill, had our drinks, and then some more, gang of welshies walked in, and sat ruight next to us, the rest of the pub was empty, so we went outside , and do you know what, theyd painted my van green, green for gods sake, so me and dave getting angry went back in , me ex miner, dave ex marine, and said in a comanding voice whos, painted my car green, Silence, then a movement at the back of the bar, a man mountain stood up, 7.00 tall and arm like trees, a head like a rock and feet like boats, he proclaimed i painted you car green, any problems, me and dave looked at each other looked round the bar as everyone started to rise up, and i said in what hopefully sounded like an accepting voice,

DRYING LOVELY BOYO, NO DRIPS AND A LOVELY COLOUR.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Not sure about that green paint post though – that supposed to be a joke?

DezB
    Free Member

BOYO ?

sofatester
    Free Member

Boyo is welsh for twunt, i think.

waihiboy
    Free Member

DOLL-GETH-LIE

molgrips
    Free Member

couldn’t get over the fact that my village name had no vowels in it!

They have bloody vowels in them, otherwise no-one would be able to pronounce them. Just because you can’t recognise the vowels doens’t mean they’re not there – just means that you’re ignorant.

That boils my piss too.

And it’s not DOL GETH LEE ffs! And LAN DUD NOH is wrong too. Bear in mind that English speaking Welsh people can sometimes get the names wrong too.

mudshark
    Free Member

Do you say Paris or Paree?

conkerman
    Free Member

We just call it dog breath (we are English though) 🙂

Closer pronunciation thatn when I try muckallleth??

Both nice places though.

Not fond of c-y-b after really hurting myself there, handlebar/gut interface. Ow..

Conks

IanMunro
    Free Member

Crikey no wonder no bothers learning the language when you all get so angry 🙂

Dogdrag
    Free Member

BATH
    Barf in the south

BAAAth up in the north

Then there’s Tom Toms way!

Different region different Pronunciation

coffeeking
    Free Member

Crikey no wonder no bothers learning the language when you all get so angry

Quite agree! When we visited Bovec in Slovenia we were trying to find out, in the local pub, how it was pronounced. One group of locals said “Bovek” and the others said “Bovets”, and a further one said “it can be either, depending on context”?? Finally, after none agreed, they all agreed it didnt matter so long as we were enjoying ourselves lol. Thats the spirit, no P boiling going on, and a welcoming attitude.

Damned pot noodle miners!

aP
    Free Member

How about LLareggub?

IWH
    Free Member

Thule isn’t pronounced ‘tooler’ it’s ‘toolay’

The nice (Welsh) chap running the hostel I stayed in when I did CyB told me it was pronounced ‘Doll Geff ley’

But he spent a lot of the weekend drunk so who knows 🙂

orena45

PeterPoddy – Member
    Talking of pronouncing stuff, what about “Thule”, bike rack people?

When I phoned up the customer service phone line recently, the lovely sounding lady on the answer machine pronounced it “Too-lay”…made me feel a bit of tool for calling it “Thewl” 😕

coffeeking
    Free Member

Deffinitely Toolay, despite it sounding bloody stupid.

muggomagic

I thought it was just Doll Geth.

anagallis_arvensis

What about Machenelleth or however its spelt, heard some great ones for that.
    and Leominster, thats in england and most englishmen get that wrong too.

aP
    Free Member

How about St Ockwell?

ourmaninthenorth

BATH
    Barf in the south

BAAAth up in the north

Eh? Can you define “south” and “north” because, as I read that, south = south east, and north equals everywhere up to about Oxford.

And is the world flat?

Sam

“They have bloody vowels in them, otherwise no-one would be able to pronounce them”

Try this one – str? prst skrz krk

molgrips
    Free Member

Thats the spirit, no P boiling going on, and a welcoming attitude.

It’s not the getting it wrong that I object to. It’s the insinuation that the place names are somehow stupid because THEY haven’t bothered to make the tiniest bit of effort (apart from the OP, apparently 🙂 ). I know there are plenty of places with Anglicised names around the world, like Paris for instance (we don’t say Paree) but that’s pretty much the exception. Most people will talk about Marsailles as Mar-say not Mar-sales and we don’t call Agincourt a jin caught. So English people CAN do it, they just don’t feel it’s worth bothering with in Wales.

traildog
    Free Member

I don’t really think it’s because the English cannot be bothered, it’s more like getting the information to learn it is like getting information out of some sort of secret pack. I was born and lived in Wales for the first 5 years of my life, so many of the place names are ingrained into me, but then I have lived in England for the rest of my life so there are many more I don’t know. My friends are English and we visit Wales loads and pretty much all want to know more about the language and place names, but the locals can be so unhelpful sometimes it’s untrue. It’s a generalisation for sure, but there comes across an overall attitude that you have no business to be speaking Welsh if you’re English. To be honest molgrips, your post doesn’t do much to improve this impression.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

And while we’re on the subject, C-y-B the first word is NOT Code it is Coed, like coy but with a d at the end.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘How do you pronounce ‘Dolgellau’?’ is closed to new replies.