Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How do you open a mtb Bontrager RaceXlite 08 rear hub?
  • SprocketMan
    Free Member

Its re badged onyx DT Swiss I think….but I dont know how to open it to service. Can anybody help?

BadlyWiredDog

I’m pretty sure it’s a 240S in fact, certainly used to be. If you go to the DT Swiss web site, all the technical service instructions are there as downloadable pdfs including bearing sizes etc.

edit: and if I’m right, you’ll also need the ridiculously expensive DT Swiss special tool to remove the thing the star ratchet thing sits in and get acess to some of the bearings.

foxyrider
    Free Member

BWD – you are exactly right – bloomin’ things 🙁

mtbfix

Do you? I have 3 DT hubs, one a rebadged Bonty job, and they will all pull/drift apart.

SprocketMan
    Free Member

mtbfix- what do you mean by ‘pull/drift’ apart?

BadlyWiredDog

Do you? I have 3 DT hubs, one a rebadged Bonty job, and they will all pull/drift apart.

The freehub’ll just pull off, yep, and you can do the freehub bearings no problem. The outside non-driveside bearing will just drift out, but the one on the freehub side is behind the cup that the star ratchet sits in and you need to unscrew that to get to the bearing which is behind it. The tool – just a splined thing – costs about 50 quid. The lower spec DT Swiss hubs use a different system so no tool needed.

If the hub bearings are shot then you need the special tool. If you just want to clean out and lube the freehub internals you can simply remove the cassette – or even leave it in situ I guess – and simply pull the freehub off. For lube you want something really light. I use Pedro’s Road Rage chain lube.

Hope that makes some sort of sense. But like I said, the manuals are all on the DT Swiss web site.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Liam, just book it into the shop, your buying the bearings from them anyway, you dont have the tools to do it yourself.

njee20
    Free Member

To be fair, the only tool you need is to remove the drive ring, otherwise there’s nothing to them. An axle vice can help to pull the end caps off, or just use the cassette for leverage and just pull it straight off.

Then you just need some drifts to knock the bearings in/out, it’s just as BWD says.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How do you open a mtb Bontrager RaceXlite 08 rear hub?’ is closed to new replies.