Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • how do you make a bike stealthy?
  • ElShalimo

Campervan holiday in Europe coming up and I want to make the bikes a bit less noticable to a casual thief** on the bike rack.

Is there any kind of way you can make them temporarily stealthy? Like wrapping something around the down tube to hide the logo etc? Or perhaps temporary high viz wrap?
    The bikes aren’t worth much but want to make them less desirable to the bad people just to avoid the hassle. I want to be able to remove the “stuff” when we get back home

What do you guys do when on your travels? Any advice would be useful.
    Cheers

** yes I probably am being paranoid who wants to nick a Tricross

tomhoward

Just add a few things that detract from what the bike really is, like this crafty fellow. This is actually a £15k Pinarello.

slowoldman

Oh come on. Who wouldn’t want to nick that?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ElShalimo

It’s nice but singlespeeds are no good to me, I live in West Yorkshire

rene59
    Free Member

… make them temporarily stealthy? … perhaps temporary high viz wrap?

Box them in with some exterior plywood, paint it white, stick short length of pvc pipe out the bottom and mark it up as a chemical toilet waste storage tank. Finally slap on some hazardous waste stickers and that should keep most people from having a look inside.

EDIT: probably not enough room on back of a campervan, I was thinking about a big motorhome.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

matther01
    Free Member

Coat them in invisible paint…just don’t forget where put them

deadkenny
    Free Member

Campervan…

Bikes can’t go in the campervan then?

remoterob
    Free Member

Pay upwards of 40% more for the stealth edition, but make sure the logos are just visible enough that people know how much you’ve spent.

Otherwise, I find that electrical tape (get a 50mm wide roll and a couple of 25mm for the details) is a cheap and easily undo-able solution.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 for black electrical tape, or any colour. It looks shit. Not the shit. Just shit. I once tried covering a full susser in it, fiddly as all get out. but it worked, looked absolutely pants. Maybe just do the minimum, top tube, cover the logos and wrap the easy bits of main tubing. Chainstays were the worst to tackle tbh. I’d still fit a thin-cabled alarmed lock for good measure. Or two. They’re so cheap and if naughty people set one off they’ll likely be too freaked out to snip the other…

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

dip them in PVA and empty a bag of feathers over em.

ElShalimo

Black electrical tape and dodo feathers it is then
    Thanks

vinnyeh

One of my kids just sprayed their Islabike with plastidip because he didn’t like the colour. Looks like a pos that’s been salvaged from the dump now. Good thing is that it’s easily removable.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Since when have opportunistic druggies been brand snobs?

They don’t give a hoot what the bike is so long as they can still sell it for 15 euro to get their next fix

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bar ends.

Point them vertically for added effect and paint the chain rust coloured and spit on the saddle

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Pipe lagging on the frame / forks when on the bike rack

PJM1974
    Free Member

Simply applying “Giant Overdrive 2” stickers would work for me.

sandwicheater

Smear it in poo. You’re welcome.

bikeneil
    Free Member

If you’re going on a Campervan holiday then PUT THE BIKES IN THE CAMPERVAN!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘how do you make a bike stealthy?’ is closed to new replies.