• This topic has 37 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Gruff.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • How do you maintain your beard?
  • SaxonRider

I have had a beard for years, but I have always kept it relatively short and shaped. Now, however, the time has come to grow it out and for me to start looking like Gandalf.

Have any of you grown out your beards? If so, what do you do to keep it looking neat as it grows? Anything?

Just tonight, for example, I trimmed into a sort of shape, largely leaving the hair on my chin alone, but cutting back the hair just under the bottom lip, and trimming my moustache.

So bearded ones: any suggestions?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I shower, comb and trim anything off that sticks out.

Occasionally I run the clippers down the cheeks etc to keep it from being a big ball of fur.

duntstick
    Free Member

I like ladies…………..keep on reducing the competition. 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

I shave it off every 2 months. by shave I mean I run the trimmers with no guard over it and take it back to stubble.

Cougar

Pretty much the same. I’m currently sporting a quarter-Blessed, it’ll get the goatee bit #1’ed with a trimmer this weekend and the rest shaved. That’ll keep me going for a week or two (low maintenance FTW).

jekkyl

With a razor every morning in the shower. Hateful things beards.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    With a razor every morning in the shower. Hateful things beards.

Much less hateful that shaving every morning!

dereknightrider
    Free Member

I use those hair trimmers, grade one mostly, but it’s irritating me at the moment, not least because I feel its greyness is denying me Goddess potential, when it warms up, it’s gone.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I am two months of beard.

It’s the neckline I don’t get. What do i do there?

emsz
    Free Member

I quite like the beards you all look pretty cool. I like nice trimmed beard with styled hair and a parting. It’s good to see blokes looking cool and taking an interest

tazzymtb

I make my own beard oils and waxes, wash and conditon when in the shower and trim the tache so it doesn’t get too soup strainer…thats it really.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – Member
    I am two months of beard.

It’s the neckline I don’t get. What do i do there?

I don’t do hair on the neck, Keep it shaved about 1/4 inch below the jawline. Hair on the neck looks too unkempt.

postierich
    Free Member

No poncy oils waxes colouring just natural, I do use a beard brush though 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qTn3if]10351317_10152847734376474_7572070539847160739_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

joshvegas
    Free Member

I trim it to the natural crease between neck and chin.

CheesybeanZ

Just taken 2″ off mine and left half inch , it goes very grey and white now so looks better a bit shorter .

daftvader
    Free Member

Good lord postierich… How can you have that monstrosity on display??? An RM fleece?? Have you no shame man?!?! 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

I Shave it off once a week. Usually the night before I’m due in the office for that one day per week.

Kryton57

I don’t do hair on the neck, Keep it shaved about 1/4 inch below the jawline. Hair on the neck looks too unkempt.

This. And a trim at no.4 on my Remington beard trimmer twice a week pre-shower, shaping and neckline with a Mach 4 post shower.

vondally
    Free Member

shower
    shampoo
    dry
    trim
    beard oil….due to the fact that my beard would reassemble the fur of a Airedale terrier
    off to get cut properly at the barbers every quarter

allthegear
    Free Member

postierich – that is a magnificent beard!! I dunno but maybe the RM is not for you – I think you should become sea captain or something. Lifeboat crew???

Rachel

Merak

It seems everyones at the beards these days. Ive been using Argon oil on mine, saves on the beardruff. Its very much salt and pepper well more salt than pepper.
    To that end I am thinking of clipping it back and going for a mouser. Yes, a mouser to separate me from the bearded masses.

mikemorini
    Free Member

I got involved in a beard growing competition with a mate a few years ago.
    i conceded defeat when I was at full blessed and he was able to plate his down to the middle of his chest!
    Since then I’ve stuck to a monthly run round with a number 4 clipper.
    Mind, the last time my face met with a razor blade was in 1984.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Mine is a scruffy mess, but from time to time I snip off the stragglers after a shower.
    I can’t stand well groomed beards. It’s all or nothing for me, don’t see the point of letting your face grow a natural rug, but carefully preening in a neckline. Looks too much like The Jones’ front lawn/picket fence.

My hair is naturally very curly though, so it tends to clump into ringlets, especially around the neck. A good conditioning in the shower seems to tame it pretty well.

Rather thin tache here though, can only look on in envy at postieriches mane.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trimmed to within a foot of it’s life

Though these days (summer) it’s all over with the clippers then do a neck line

TiRed

As per Kryton; number 3 or 4 with the beard trimmer once a week and a tidy of the neck. Done that for five years.

fin25
    Free Member

Shampoo and condtioner daily, trim the tache once a week and give my sideburns a no.4 with the clippers once a month to keep my ears keen. The rest does as it likes.
    Have recently taken to shaving my head for the full daddies sauce look…
    This image perfectly captures the joy of having nobody left to impress…and also demonstrates why a bit of sideburn trimming is sometimes necessary.

samuri
    Free Member

Beard oil, apparently.

Works for me nicely actually. DON’T YOU DARE SAY THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!

mintimperial

My wife bought me some beard oil – I was thoroughly discombobulated, I had no idea it was squeaking.

edhornby

I have something inbetween stubble and full beard, clippered every week/fortnight to start again, I would never get to full beard as it’s too patchy

oh and postierich you need one of these – a recreation of Shackleton’s favourite jumper 🙂

http://thegreatbritishbanjocompany.com/shackleton-sweater-knitted-in-britain-from-british-grown-wool-2181-p.asp

samuri
    Free Member

I FELL OFF MY BIKE THIS WEEK, FACEPLANTED TARMAC

Look at my picture and watch the video
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qe4toW]bang[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOLBLqq45S4[/video]

The beard didn’t help.

metalheart
    Free Member

Well apart from a quick strim every 3-4 weeks (kind of an all over napper job) with clippers I’ve been a bit obsessiv,e and seeing a stray hair out of the corner of my eye, I’ve taken to wheeking it out. Been doing that a little bit too much of late. Wouldn’t recommend that approach. Other than that, nothing (shampoo it same time as the rest of my head, don’t own a comb/brush, sadly no need for one…)

Been like this about 6 months but getting a bit fed up as a) it sticks out below the helmet and b) I’m getting abuse from all quarters about atm (even the nice ladies at work are dropping subtle hints like: you need to trim your beard and you’d look 10 years younger if you trimmed your beard, etc…. ) 🙄

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Trimming a Beard Neckline

Found this. Some fantastically bad neck lines. I must avoid those at all costs. I may simply keep growing it as looking a bit beardy is better than too styled beardy

postierich
    Free Member

postierich – that is a magnificent beard!! I dunno but maybe the RM is not for you – I think you should become sea captain or something. Lifeboat crew???

Rachel

Funny you should say that 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qTPFi4]10609446_10152776017566474_3673341395979912606_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

robd

Ahmish Beard Balm Great Stuff.

mooman
    Free Member

Some good beards on show here. Real manly types too. None of that skinny Jean wearing gay bar finely sculptured stubble look.
    Good work fellas.

slowoldman

I’ve had mine for 40 years or so but I’ve never been able to grow a huge bushy one. It has been at times unkempt but is now neatly trimmed (3 or 4 on the Remington scale) and pure white (so almost invisible anyway).

I don’t shave the neck, just make sure it’s nicely trimmed along with the rest and cut of any stragglers.

Ear and nose hairs are my biggest challenge these days.

rOcKeTdOg

mine is a little unruly at the moment, but thats as it’s in its winter spec, hacked and trimmed in the spring

Gruff
    Free Member

a few years ago now… can’t really get away with it being so glorious any more though…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘How do you maintain your beard?’ is closed to new replies.