Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • how do you know what to ask for for a salary.
  • mrmo
    Free Member

I have an interview on Monday and they have asked what my salary expectations are. It is a job that sounds as if it could be interesting. My temp job ends in 4 weeks anyway. So I don’t want to price myself out, but it would be nice to get as much as possible and. Not sell mself short. So how do you find out the going rate?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Research online?

damo2576
    Free Member

You better not show such unresourcefulness in the interview!

Only kidding, try searching job sites etc? Look in your local paper? Loads of tables of average salaries on line too.

mrmo
    Free Member

Where, just trawl job boards? I have seen similar jobs paying anything from 18k to 30k. Which is a fair band. I haven’t been openly asked before. Most jobs I have applied for gave a range so you know what is on offer. This job just said competative, whatever that means.

xiphon
    Free Member

Ask what you think you’re worth for the job on the table.

crazy-legs

This job just said competative, whatever that means.

It’s a way where employers get YOU to set the salary. That way they don’t have to give away what the job actually pays and, like you, most people are afraid of pricing themselves out of the market so they naturally state a lower salary, hoping to get the job.
    It’s also a way for the employer to find out how good your negotiation skills are, what your expectations are like etc. Try turning it round by asking what they think you’re worth (they’ll naturally aim lower as well) then push the price up a bit giving some examples as to why you’re worth the extra.

Last job interview I had, I stated a salary about £2000 higher than what I was on thinking that was pushing the boat out a bit, they looked surprised and said “oh, we were going to offer xxx (a figure about £3500 more than what I was on)! Win.

xiphon
    Free Member

I agree with the bit about asking them – I did the same for my current job.

Was asked to come for an interview in 2 weeks time (which means they were interested in me). Salary was supposed to be discussed during the interview.

Asked what their salary range was, to see if we were thinking along the same lines…. and it would provide a starting point for negotiation during the interview.

I must add – I NEVER put the salary against a job title in my CV – which means recruiters must match my skill set not my previous salary to their clients requirements.

mrmo
    Free Member

What I know is I match most of the requirements, they must be interested in me, why waste time interviewing someone who won’t get the job? There is no agency involved, I guessed the company from an agency advert and went direct. I know what my replacement in my old job got, but that was in construction supply and chester, this is retail and evesham. So I guess that might mean something? I suppose pick a number around what I was on, I know I can live on it, add a bit for negotiation, and if I end up where I was I have a job. I can always move on later.

toby1

Check out the cars in the carpark and estimate what they pay 😛

When I moved to my current position I though I was being cheeky asking for what I did, to them it was considered a ‘low salary’ – despite being £9k up from my previous employer! Don’t worry though I get paid a bit more now 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

Last time I was asked that question I said I would expect the market rate for the role. He didn’t press me to tell him what I thought that was.

geetee1972
    Free Member

+1 for Crazylegs’ appraoch.

Another option is to say that it’s too early to discuss salary. You’re not in a position to know what you would want to ask for, they are not in a position to know what they would want to offer you.

It’s always better to push salary negotiations back until they are ready to make you an offer and you are ready to accept one. Otherwise it’s just a tactic to manage your expectations and try to get you cheaper than they might be willing to pay.

If they realy really press you, take what you’re earning now or what you think is a reasonable figure and add 50%. When you deliver it say

‘Well £x’000s would be nice’ and see what they say.

If they say that the figure is ridiculous then you can either respond with, ‘OK tell me what you think is reasonable?’

Whatever they say next, the important part is to follow up with ‘OK well we can negotiate the package when you’re ready to offer and I’m ready to accept’.

xiphon
    Free Member

Whatever they say next, the important part is to follow up with ‘OK well we can negotiate the package when you’re ready to offer and I’m ready to accept’.

+1 excellent advice.

mrmo
    Free Member

If they realy really press you, take what you’re earning now or what you think is a reasonable figure and add 50%. When you deliver it say

as i’ll be on the dole in four weeks, £70pw +£35…. 🙂

I have had a look and have got some ideas of what the market rate is, in the local it is c25k so if i say mid 20’s and leave it vague, they have asked in an email asking for confirmation of attendance at the interview and how much i am looking for. There is always the “+benefits” no idea what they are or what they are worth.

CHB

In any negotiation, always best if you can get the other party to name their range first.

hels
    Free Member

In negotiations, I have found, always try not to be the first person to say a number, its definitely the weaker position.

For example – when working on projects suppliers often call for small jobs and say “whats your budget” then quote slightly under it rather than putting the work in on a realistic quote. I learned that one fast and now refuse to say.

So my advice would be to have a well researched number in your head, go a bit over what you would be happy with and don’t say it first if you can make them say a number first.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I always start by asking for some money and take it from there.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I have had a look and have got some ideas of what the market rate is, in the local it is c25k

OK I hope you see this.

If £25k is about right, then if they press you early on in the proceedings then absolutely you should say £35k would do just fine.

They will come back with a comment about it being unrealistic, in which case, you definitely follow up with ‘well OK we can negotiate when…’

One tactic they may well try to use is to ask what you are/were earning in your current/last role. I would always say that this was not something I am willing to share. If you think about it, you wouldn’t answer that question to someone down the pub. Plus it’s got nothing to do with the job you’re talking to them about.

Best of luck.

donsimon
    Free Member

I would not quote a figure but talk about competitive salaries and matching the market rate. If they big themselves up as the market leader then you would be looking at market rate plus some more to attract the right type of person needed to maintain the Nº1 position. Have a figure in mind that you have taken from you research, but don’t offer it to them.

br
    Free Member

Its the package that counts, not the salary.

And +1 to say ‘too early’.

geoffj

Market rates, but if pushed, have a number in mind.
    Don’t try and be a smart arse, all you will do is pods them off, and remember you will be one of a few they will be interviewing.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘how do you know what to ask for for a salary.’ is closed to new replies.