• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hels.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How do you know its time to move on?
  • neil853
    Free Member

Been in my job a little over 3 years now, comforatble in what i’m doing but because we are a small company the threat of redundancy is there. Being in the North West the mountain biking is excellent but also being in Preston its not Monte Carlo either!

So possibility (certainly for the next 2-years) of a pay rise is very small. Do I sit tight and ride it out? Or stick my neck out and move out of the area I love (for mountain biking)?

samuri
    Free Member

What’s more important to you? Sounds like the mountain biking.
    Can you not find a better job in the same area? The mountain biking is better if you head North or East by the way.

iDave
    Free Member

Flip a coin, when it’s in the air you’ll know if you want heads or tails

trailmonkey

Flip a coin, when it’s in the air you’ll know if you want heads or tails

that is so true.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or if you go “best of three then” when you see the result…

…that’s for those of us who remain indecisive for a moment longer 🙂

trailmonkey

Or if you go “best of three then” when you see the result…

😆

you’ve watched me use this process haven’t you ?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

we are a small company the threat of redundancy is there.

I work for a large organisation and the threat of redundancy is there.

Moses

Sit tight, ride it out.
    If you’re concerned about staying in a job then your prospects of keeping employed are better in a company you’ve been with for 3 years, than if you’re the new man in a place you don’t know.

Often vacancies arise because a company is going down and the rats start to leave the sinking ship – you won”t know that’s the case until you join.

AlexSimon

As a general rule, most people I know are happier after changing jobs.
    They usually get pickier as they move, so end up with something more suited. (and more money too). Can be very difficult to achieve career progression in one small company.

Surely Manchester is a large enough catchment area that you can find a job and you can live nearer the Peak District 🙂

I commuted from the Peaks to Manchester for 5 years. Short bike/car journey to Macc followed by an easy train ride into the centre.

gwj72
    Free Member

Is there plenty of work about in your industry?
    If so, make a break. It’s almost always worth it and they might even have you back if it doesn’t work out (providing you handle it well).

2 years is the longest I’ve stayed at one place for about 10 years. Moving around gets you faster pay rises, more experience and varied work. Some industries don’t tolerate it, luckily mine sees it as an advantage.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

On the up side, you’ll get to leave De-Preston. Always a bonus. 😛

hels
    Free Member

Funny one – for me it’s been sitting on the couch crying while I eat my breakfast at the thought of going to work means it’s time to move on. I’m obviously quite resilient !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How do you know its time to move on?’ is closed to new replies.