Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • how do you know if your frame bearings are kaput
  • SlowJohn
    Free Member

I have a pace 405 which i have ridden non stop for just over a year now. For the last two months ican hear an annoying creak and the only thing i havent yet tok of or replaced is the bearings. Do bearings creak?? could it be the shock bushes im at the end of my tether trying to find this creak 🙁

stumpyjon

Chances are it’s bearings related (the creaking noise my Stumpjumper is usually the bike telling me it’s missed a service). When you strip the frame you’ll probably find the bearings crunchy at best and seized at worst (bearings are designed to go around in circles really, not just backwards and forwards). Pop the dust cover off with a Stanley knife and thoroughly flush the bearings and then repack with grease. Brought mine back to life twice so far (actually second time I stripped the frame I did it before the bike started creaking and guess what none of the bearings had siezed this time). Biggest problem is if you can’t get the bearing out of the frame to access both dust covers, makes it a lot more difficult to clean out as the crud hides on the back side.

speaker2animals

Pace supposedly now do a grease gun and adaptor for their FS frames. However may be too late for original bearings. Probably worth getting the gun, grease the bearings. If creak disappears and there is no play in the pivot points (side play) then job done. From then on lube regular. Worth getting lube kit even if you have to replace the original bearings.0

jam-bo

my five creaks if the rear QR isn’t done up bastard tight.

willy
    Free Member

my reign bearings made an ‘ORRIBLE cracking sounds when you squished the suspension that sounded like the bike was about to snap, mines were proper nackered tho. to begin with you could feel a slight bit of play when you lift the seat.

bodger
    Free Member

check the bearings in the shock mounts,they’re worth keeping an eye on because if they do sieze you get premature wear on your shaft (and no-one wants that do they!!!!!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘how do you know if your frame bearings are kaput’ is closed to new replies.