Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How do you know if you can ride your mtb well?
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Seems a simple question but actually its not – not in my view anyway.

I had an excellent ride the other day in a dry Stanmer Park (Brighton) – feeling like a riding god, next week after a local downpour, same area, rode like a p****y.

Which got me to thinking about how you know if your a good rider or not.

Thoughts, observations welcome.

DC

jam-bo

It’s fun.

wwaswas

If I don’t fall off I feel like I’m doing ok.

Generally I mince along at the back on group rides though.

I can climb reasonably.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

If I’m giggling to myself then I’m riding good 🙂

Muke
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter as long as you enjoy yourself.

Superficial
    Free Member

Strava!

Just kidding. It’s measured by the amount of XTR/BOS/Thomson kit you can talk about in the car park.

rmacattack
    Free Member

If the day feels great your doing it right

muckytee
    Free Member

For me it’s when my riding is smooth and controlled. No “shit that was lucky” moments.

Also when I know that I rode as fast as I could – this seldom happens, usually, I get to the end of a trail and think “I could have gone much faster, less braking next time and relax more”

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s measured by the amount of XTR/BOS/Thomson kit you can talk about in the car park.

Damn it. I don’t have any of that stuff. Confirmation if I ever need it that I am indeed shit.

dan77
    Free Member

The injuries get progressively less serious as you get better?

ahwiles
    Free Member

enter a race: if you do quite well, you’re probably quite good.

if you do ok, you’re ok.

if you’re rubbish, you’re rubbish.

if you’re dfl, you’re me.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’m with awhiles – easy to get deluded about your ability if you always ride the same trails with the same mates. A bit of competition sorts the wheat from the chaff!

Northwind

I did a dirtschool course and Andy said “You’re obviously a competent rider”. Not just competent, but obviously competent, that’s like getting one of the really big swimming badges. 1000 metres, at least, and that’s millions of lengths.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Competitions don’t make you a good rider!

jwt
    Free Member

When it just happens and you don’t have to think about it.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Rode big dog and did ok – middle of the pack somewhere.

Rode my local loop just after a flash storm and minced around far too much for my liking.

Off to do some training end of this month so no doubt the instructor will give us an honest assessment.

Not too honest i hope.

DC

TimP
    Free Member

When you aren’t holding me up 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

All you can really do is compare yourself to the people you ride with. So ride with lots of different people and see how you stack up. If you’re rubbish, the best thing to do is buy a niche bike and blame that 😉

somafunk

If i’m riding well i tend to stay on the bike and have confidence to hit anything on the trail whether that be wild riding or trail centre black stuff (ie laggan etc) without stopping/crashing or checking it out first.

I’f i’m riding crap i tend to find myself lying on the ground feeling a bit dazed n’ confused whilst wondering what is up with my double vision and why my arm is at a strange angle.

beanieripper
    Free Member

dunno, how do you know if your living life well?

nick1962
    Free Member

No “shit that was lucky” moments.

I have two or three a ride at least…ooops 😳

druidh
    Free Member

I know I’m rubbish, so I don’t care.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

sonofapitch – Member
    Competitions don’t make you a good rider!

It depends on the sort of race.

darkcyan
    Free Member

I knew my aformentioned ride was not going well when i was runnning down the trail with my bike coming behind me – never a good sign but easier than you would thing.

Still faster than timP though!

DC

alexxx
    Free Member

my thoughts are the opposite to dans. the better you get the more you hurt yourself as the pace, drops, jumps, risks are all higher… says the 25 year old with 2 broken collar bones and a shoulder that sublaxed nearly 200x this summer. Living in Morzine is ace but doing physio in Morzine is less ace

darkcyan
    Free Member

alexxx i hear you – funny thing is i have hurt myself most when doing something silly at slow speed.

DC

TimP
    Free Member

Only uphill 8)

daveh
    Free Member

Strava!
    Just kidding. It’s measured by the amount of XTR/BOS/Thomson kit you can talk about in the car park.

Are you my boss? Lol.

zilog6128

If by “well” you mean “fast” then definitely Strava. Humbling to see how much faster some local riders are on sections that I considered myself reasonable at. In some ways I think Strava is better for this than proper racing because most of the segments are so short that skill/technique far outweighs fitness.

Of course having fun and staying safe are the most important things (to me anyway!) but everyone (secretly) wants to be the fastest don’t they? 😆

TimP
    Free Member

Last week was great, but last night I hit just about every tree in Stanmer, cut my finger, shoulder and grazed my forearm. It was actually a bit embarrassing and I did feel sorry for the trees as have been there some time and didn’t just appear.

Maybe next week will be a bit better…

alexxx
    Free Member

DC all of mine were doing stupid little things. like as stupid as doing 30 off foot doubles and big road gaps then ruining myself on a 4ft hip jump. nevermind – live and learn! kinda… did i mention it was my 2nd collarbone? haha 😀

continuity
    Free Member

You feel a flow in your riding. Like you can feel that you’re going faster than you can handle but you’re just holding on.

somafunk

If by “well” you mean “fast” then definitely Strava.

Tis’ a shame strava wasn’t about when i was riding 4/5yrs ago as i would’ve found out whether i actually was a fast rider or was just deluding myself into thinking i was fast around trail centres such as Kirroughtree/Dalbeattie/Mabie etc…etc.. – all my old Garmin gps logs were on an old windows laptop i used specifically for this purpose as the garmin/mapping software didn’t work on Mac’s which i use(d). I can only remember my complete lap times as i never bothered about “sessioning sections” like folk do on strava.

Possibly better not knowing whether i was or not as i doubt i’ll get that fit again due to other commitments in my life now and i’d just be peeved with myself for not being able to train as much.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it doesn’t matter, so long as you had fun and enjoyed yourself.

somafunk

Yeah…. you’re quite right kevevs and there’s no such thing in my opinion as a bike ride that is not “fun/enjoyable” but i admit i did try to always better my times using the garmin virtual rider setting unless i was specifically on a recovery ride after a weekend race.

chiefgrooveguru

You can import your old GPS data into Strava – been interesting to look back at my progress thanks to this..,

lex
    Free Member

Tony Hawk, who is arguably the best skateboarder who ever lived (worms, can, open) once said that the best skateboarder in the world is the one who’s enjoying himself the most.

somafunk

Hmm, only prob wi this solution “guru” is the fact that after i lost my garmin in a crash i dumped my old laptop as it started to play up, i’ve used macs in one form or another since 1996 and i only bought the cheap dell laptop to use for my garmin data connection and nothing else so there was no point in fixing it…….sigh……..sometimes i do the dumbest bloody things as all my gps data was on there.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Interesting thoughts – seems to be two threads emerging – strava / are you having fun.

Both pretty valid really!

DC

Macavity
    Free Member

As long as you are not one of these…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How do you know if you can ride your mtb well?’ is closed to new replies.