Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How do you keep your feet dry in your winter / wet weather shoes ?
  • adi66
    Free Member

So it’s hacking it down here today so I thought I know I’ll wear my sparkly (not yet worn in wet weather) Northwave Arctic GTX boots for the commute to work…. Feet got as wet as they would have done with my normal shoes!

The water seemed to come from the top (ankle) down, despite me doing the upper collar as tight as possible…. Soaking its way into my sock.

So how does the STW collective stop the water running of your legs getting into ya shoes / boots ?

Ta

CountZero

Sealskinz.

adi66
    Free Member

Tried them last year…. Same issue water runs down my leg into them!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Shimano mt90 boots, Berghaus Glacier ankle gaiters, Altura Attack X trousers.
    But only in winter. In “summer” its too warm. Easier just to accept wet feet. Good socks and well vented shoes will allow feet to dry if they get the chance.

adi66
    Free Member

So I wear shorts ALL year round, baggys in the MTB & Lycra on the road bike…

Might have a go with some gaiters, are they waterproof with a good seal at the top edge ?

honeybadgerx

Duct tape around the top of your shoes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

stabilizers

The only way you will keep your feet dry without the above solution would be some dry suit gaiter (rubber seals) put next to your skin above the boot then rolled over the top of the boot. Otherwise the water will always run down into the boots. I use Shimano winters but I have warm feet so I am not too fussed. Might try it out sometime though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Waterproof trousers over the boots. Looks daft, but feet dry.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Full length altura attacks, who gives a damn what you look like if your smug and dry!

scotroutes

Get a pair of Marigold gloves (other brands are available). Cut them just before the thumb. Use the wrist part to make an effective seal over the top of your boots (you may find it easier to put the “gaiter” on before the boot).

bforbertie

My latest, and so far fairly successful technique is winding a few loops of “sock tape” (like electrical tape)over top of boots or sealskinz then overlapping onto leg- not managed to depilate my ankles so far, though might in fact make the seal even better!

philjunior
    Free Member

You don’t, you just make sure they’re warm enough once soaked on the days the rain is that heavy.

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1. I just concentrate on keeping warm. Excepting you are goign to get wet is more realistic and you can still be comfy.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Get some Lake MX302/3. They have proper snug fit neoprene cuffs. I have ankles like twiglets but still stay dry.
    NorthWave are cold weather boots and they can’t even spell Arctic right…

dudeofdoom

I use army surplus waterproof socks – like sealskins but way cheaper….

Never had much luck with waterproof footwear tbh on bike or walking 🙁

shermer75
    Free Member

Get a pair of Marigold gloves (other brands are available). Cut them just before the thumb. Use the wrist part to make an effective seal over the top of your boots

chrisb57
    Free Member

Shimano mw80 boots with knee high sealskinz, also good at keeping ticks of you’re legs

samuri
    Free Member

How long is your commute? Less than an hour. Suck it up. Being cold and wet for an hour or less? Really a problem? Nah.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How do you keep your feet dry in your winter / wet weather shoes ?’ is closed to new replies.