Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • How do you keep fit and riding in such bad weather?
  • gazerath
    Free Member

I’m lacking the get up and go to get out there at the moment.

Just wondering how people keep them selfs fit and motivated. Entered myself into a XC race at Cannock Chase 24th I need to get out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Group rides. Two or three rides a week.

Surely if you live near Cannock just go there and bash out laps?

nedrapier

live in a somewhere where cycling is by far the quickest way to get to work. 60 miles a week isn’t huge by some standards, but it keeps things ticking over.

Not to mention cheapest and most pleasant (whatever the weather, I’d rather cycle than take the tube)

gazerath
    Free Member

Your right, I should just get out there and unfortunately I live 35 miles from my work 🙁

weeksy

Indoors.

MoreCashThanDash

I enter an event and then it has to happen…..

Commuting works for me – not quality, not training – I’m not fit – but riding to work and back 2-3 times a week, 12 miles each way, gives a decent base for other stuff. And I love commuting at this time of year – the first light is just appearing in the sky as I set off in the morning, and I can get home when there is still a hint of light in the sky, it’s the start of the year proper in February as far as I’m concerned.

Decent kit as well – warm/waterproof/windproof stuff, and a reliable wahing fairy to keep it all turning round.

And a healthy dose of MTFU, of course

MoreCashThanDash

OK then – drive 25 miles to work and ride the last 10?

br
    Free Member
    AD

Ride outside less, turbo trainer and run more…

iainc

in the last 3 weeks I have ridden the velodrome more than outside. All good fun, but costs a bit more !

andrewh
    Free Member

Your right, I should just get out there and unfortunately I live 35 miles from my work

That’s 350 miles a week, which is good for base training, plus some longer rides at weekends.
    I used to commute 35miles each way, St. Andrews to Kirkcaldy. Lovely riding along the coast. As for bad weatehr, it’s never quite as bad outside as it looks when you are sitting in the warm by the fire peering out at it…
    Also, group rides, much easier to motivate yourself to go with a group of mates.
    I was going to suggest enter a race so you have something to aim for to make you get fit but you have already done that!

VanHalen

Keep riding. The mud just makes for additional resistance training. Good mud tyres help. So does decent wet weather gear. Your bike will get destroyed though but its great fun. Sometimes. Maybe

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I found the best thing I did was to get a bike that was “maintenance free”, i.e. ride in any conditions, on almost any surface, and just put away filthy with no guilt.

Said bike is an Alfine geared Pompetamine with cable discs. Gets ridden on the road in winter and on bridleways in summer (and dryer parts of the winter). Was out today in a gale on the local converted railway track – bit safer than being on the road. Came back muddy and just put away. If I remember at the weekend, I’ll wipe and lube the chain.

Miggs
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Commuting and running

Commute is 15 miles each way

Not training for owt just enjoy the riding

roverpig

Keep buying new bikes or bike bits. Then you’ll want to get out and test them whatever the weather.

andrewh
    Free Member

I found the best thing I did was to get a bike that was “maintenance free”, i.e. ride in any conditions, on almost any surface, and just put away filthy with no guilt

That’s good.
    I’ve had a hoot in the two weeks of snow on a rigid singlespeed. Doesn’t have to be heavy clunky thing, I’m on full carbon frame and forks with fancy brakes and decent wheels, but still no looking after.
    Eliminates those ‘maybe I could but really can’t be bothered to clean the bike afterwards’ days.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Roadie.
    Intervals.
    Die doing them.
    Race.

eshershore
    Free Member

road riding, and running

and mountain biking when the weather gets terrible (snow) because I can wrap up in lots of warm clothing and have fun

soundninjauk

I commute by bike so it’s either get on and ride or pay good monies for the tube, and I don’t enjoy that.

I need to ride the mtb more though, I need to sort out a group to go with but so far have been useless at doing so. Anyone know of any good ones in West London? I don’t have a car unfortunately but getting to Swinley is no problem.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Get single speed.
    Wrap up warm.
    Go and learn how too drift in the mud. 😀

noteeth
    Free Member

Commuting.

Trying not to drink too much beer.

ton

someone has to say it…………MTFU mate
    get out a ride…………..cos one day, you wont be able. 8)

tomhoward

Training counts double if you do it in cack weather. Honest.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I agree with the uselesshippy. I singlespeeded an old frame. Built the whole thing up really cheaply. Flat peddles, old shoes, waterproof shorts. It hurts to start but great once warmed up. I’ve not had to service, clean or fettle with it all winter. I just does its ting

labsey
    Free Member

Commute. Just leave the Orange Five at home and ride something you don’t mind ruining.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve been having the same trouble lately ……it’s hard to get the motivation to just go out …..but saying that once out …love every minute of the ride …………def need to MTFU or get some very persuasive mates

Pieface

The weathers not that bad. I’ve been getting up early for the last few months and there’s only been a few occassions where the weather has been so bad that I didn’t fancy going out.

baldman
    Free Member

Commuting for me and love it whatever the weather – but I only do 26 miles a day – your 35 each way would be tough this time of year.

Before I started commuting used to do spin classes which are great for keeping fit. Also used a turbo trainer but that is dull compared to spin classes.

globalti
    Free Member

*Smug mode on*

Fly to South Africa this Saturday for a 2 week business trip and take your cycling kit.

*smug off*

oldgit
    Free Member

I think it’s simply a case of getting used to the seasons, sort of prepare for the worst and don’t expect the best.

If you have a race just think how much easier it will be if you train now. And you must have mates that ride?

I don’t know really. I plan my week and make commitments so that helps?
    For example I’ve agreed to 82 miles on Saturday, and 62 miles on Sunday. a night ride Tuesday, another one with a mate on Wednesday, club turbos Thursday…and repeat.

forge197
    Free Member

I too am doing the Cannock XC and have riden twice in January, but have complimented that with light gym work and walking. Last weekend did 21 miles around Coed y Brenin in 2 1/2 hour which is good for me and felt ok so seems the gym and walking have been complimentary.

My lack of riding has been more time and commitments than motivation, big ride planned this weekend too so all good and then HTN, Cannock XC, Cannock Tread and Dyfi to train for and do :).

oldgit
    Free Member

I should add I don’t enjoy getting up at 6am on weekends to ride, and it isn’t fun setting off for an all nighter when you’ve been on your feet in the freezing cold working for ten hours.
    But once out 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use my CX bike on the local gravel. Much less bike cleaning and clothes washing to do. Once you are out the door it’s not so bad. Do it enough and you might get a bit obsessive and thats a real help.

ndthornton
    Free Member

man up

BenjiM

I think it’s simply a case of getting used to the seasons

Unfortunately for us in the Ribble Valley and Forest of Bowland we don’t get seasons, just rain and wind – lots of it. I enjoy commuting to work but heading to the Fylde coast each morning with the recent wind has been testing my patience to say the least, seeing as the road bike is out of action and I’m on the MTB. Luckily I’ve avoided the rain in the morning for a good while now, but I think I may have just cursed myself.

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

go on pinkbike and watch videos of people riding fast (if thats your kinda thing) but watch the ones with people with open face helmets. It somehow makes it feel more relative.

It instantly makes me wanna ride harder.

Solo
    Free Member

How do you keep fit and riding in such bad weather?

I use rollers and I have a group ride once a week. Will get out more when the weather sorts itself.

Does anyone know if we’ve booked a real summer this year ?. As in not the wettest one ever, again.

yunki
    Free Member

get a couple of toddlers in your life.. become a stay at home dad..

you will soon relish every moment that you can manage to free up for riding..

it soon won’t matter if there is a bit of weather outside, in fact it would probably take substantially more than the earth’s atmosphere catching fire during a plague of killer bees at the height of a zombie apocalypse to keep me indoors at the moment..

Solo
    Free Member

the earth’s atmosphere catching fire during a plague of killer bees at the height of a zombie apocalypse to keep me indoors at the moment.

Yes, well I think we’ve all been out on days like that. But what about the Sun, Man !. I need some sunshine !.
    🙂

Will we get a summer this year. This is the question that I need the answer to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘How do you keep fit and riding in such bad weather?’ is closed to new replies.