Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How do you get your high levels of protein naturally?
  • jonba
    Free Member

I stopped breathing since I realized air is just chemicals.

Personally I’m always skeptical of anyone who says they need more protein and that the best way to get it is from a shake. I know a good number of road racers and it generally seems to be the 3/4s who rely on the highly processed energy products and the E/1/2 who can be seen drinking milk and eating bananas.

A huge amount of the science behind sports products is done purely to sell the sports products that funded the research.

Recommendations for increasing protein from me include Skyr in place of yoghurt, skimmed milk, Quark, nuts, Jerky/Biltong, just eat more meat, fish (mackerel is a favourite), add some nuts and seeds to muesli for breakfast.

robcolliver
    Free Member

This may not add much to the debate, but I took a protein shake every 20 miles during my SDW double double (and loads of High5 4:1) and really my muscles are in good shape.
    I could tell when I was in protein deficit during training as my quads would complain if I slept face down at night.

hilldodger
    Free Member

….that the best way to get it is from a shake.

Yes, the “protein supplement industry” is largely based around finding more profitable use for industrial products already in use – soy protein was originally developed as a foaming agent for fire extinguishants, not as wholesome proteiny goodness for malnourished “athletes”

avdave2

As a vegan I use plant protein powders mostly soya which tastes like shit.

I’d been thinking of adding a bit more protein to my diet and don’t really want anything derived from animals. I do eat some soya but I’m not entirely sure it’s that good for you eaten every day. I’ve moved from soya milk to oat milk for my porridge to cut down on the soya consumption.

So if I did want a bit more protein as I’ve added running to my cycling and am trying to up my all round training what non soya non animal source would people reccomend.

hilldodger
    Free Member

… what non soya non animal source would people reccomend

Unless you really want to eat kg sized portions of leafy green veg you’re pretty much stuck with beans, nuts and seeds really….

bob_summers

you’re pretty much stuck with beans, nuts and seeds really….

I’ve used powders based on pea, rice and hemp protein as well as blends like Vega so it doesn’t have to be soy based. Although as mentioned many times above – a balanced, varied diet will provide enough. I’ve supplemented during really heavy training blocks but more for the placebo/psychological effect.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What he said
    Lots of chick peas and lentils for me usually in soups, curries and Falafel
    Not that worried about soya personally so I eat a lot of Tofu

Solo
    Free Member

not as wholesome proteiny goodness for malnourished “athletes”
    😆

What else are STW’s athletes going to spend their hard earned on, once the MTB has been blinged to within an inch of being blown away like a feather on the wind, in the slightest breeze.

Lov’n the thread.
    Carry on!

avdave2

you’re pretty much stuck with beans, nuts and seeds really….

I live on them as it is now, and have done for 30 years. My diet is probably 98 % vegan but the last 20 years of constant travelling for work have meant I sometimes have dairy products. I just fancied a little more protein without having to eat more generally.The wife says I need to put on weight but I only want useful muscle, don’t want to be dragging lard up hill 🙂 I’ll have a look at pea protein.

JAG

The wife says I need to put on weight but I only want useful muscle

+1

mogrim

The wife says I need to put on weight but I only want useful muscle

I know I’m getting down to race weight when my mother-in-law starts muttering about how unhealthy I look 🙂

obelix
    Free Member

Biltong. By the pound.

+1

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How do you get your high levels of protein naturally?’ is closed to new replies.