Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How do you get X0 rear mechs apart?
  • Veero
    Free Member

The hangar bolt is chemically siezed into my X0 rear mech. I have another broken rear mech which I hope to use the upper body from.

On the X0 mech how do you dismantle the darn thing? I have taken the circlips off and was hoping the pins would come out relatively easily but they seem pressed in the hinges.

Does anyone know how to get these apart? I don't want to risk damaging anything with the hammer and smash technique, so is it best to use a hydraulic press to get these bad boys out?

The service manual on the SRAM website only covers how to remove the cage, not dismanlte the actual mech body itself.

Cheers
    Veero

glenp
    Free Member

Same way you get all SRAM mechs apart – just wait a while.

Veero
    Free Member

Yeah cheers fella , really helpful.

colwyn58
    Free Member

I need to know the same thing for an X9 too…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I took the bolt out of my X.0 earlier this year. buggered if I can remember how I did it though. I think a circlip was involved and then some impact persuasion.
    😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

e-mail me willsend you a guide

Smee
    Free Member

Big hammer should do the trick. If that doesn't work then your hammer isn't big enough.

Veero
    Free Member

It's ok I just used a centre punch and hammer and the bush pins slid out.

The X9 upper body is virtually identical to the X0 one so with a bit of bushing trimming the whole lot went back together and although I haven't tested it yet it looks like it will all work perfectly. Getting the paralellogram spring back in place was a bitch though.

@colwyn58:

The X9 isn't supposedly rebuildable like the X0, to get the pins out of the broken X9 I had, I needed to drill the tops off the rivets. So once it's apart you wouldn't be able to securely fix it back together unless you used an X0 pin with the reusable circlips or made a custom bolt to hold it all together.

If you do take it apart, just drill the top off the end of the pin and used a centre punch (I found a masonry nail was the perfect diameter to push the pins out whilst being strong enough to take the force) and the whole lot will fall apart.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How do you get X0 rear mechs apart?’ is closed to new replies.