Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • How do you get rid of a mouse?
  • rob2
    Free Member

We appear to have a mouse coming into our house at night. Any tips on getting rid of it?

Humane mouse trap?

chilled76
    Free Member

Buy a Bengal cat

binners

It may look cute. If you’re a mouse, its the angel of death

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mike_p
    Free Member

Humane? Forget it, if there’s one there’s probably many (or there soon will be), and the little bastards will only come back.

Use a couple of classic spring-loaded traps, primed with granary bread or peanut butter (not cheese!), they can’t resist.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Forget humane traps, they’re next to useless. Get a proper trap, put it on the runs and bait it with something sticky like peanut butter. Job done usually. PS. You’ll more than likely have more than one mouse too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Something like this, if you want humane

tomhoward

trail_rat
    Free Member

rodene works – dries them out so no smell.

caught mine with a screw fix snap trap – holey hell they go with a bang.

havnt had any mice since – look for the access hole – mines was from when i drilled through the access for the boiler inlets and outlets- wasnt much room but enough.

Wirewool and expanding foam.

Stoner
    Free Member

what mike says.

Spring trap and peanut butter on a little piece of bread.

Had a mouse nest in the roof and they were coming down the stud into the kitchen at night. Caught a mouse every night for 6 days until the next was emptied. No mouses since.

Just lay the trap near a run, say next to the wall where they come in.

EDIT

Wirewool and expanding foam.

I like the idea of that…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Same problem here, called the council pest control.

4 visits for £45 including bait and traps 🙂

wagenwheel

dazh

Mice are pretty harmless so I don’t know why you’d go to extraordinary lengths to get rid of them. If they’re coming in, it’s probably cos there’s food available. The best thing you can do is make sure all food is in secure cupboards and your kitchen is clean.

Don’t bother with a cat, in my experience they bring mice into the house, rather than get rid of them. And rats, and frogs, and small birds…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Mice are pretty harmless so I don’t know why you’d go to extraordinary lengths to get rid of them”

Chewing insulation , electric cables , pooping everywhere.

chewed through the rubber fuel line on my land rover – looked fairly chewed – then found a dead mouse on the chassis rail under the tub.

Lad on here had an electrical fire that burnt down his house due to mice stripping wires.

Ill take my mice outside thanks

maccruiskeen

Mice are pretty harmless so I don’t know why you’d go to extraordinary lengths to get rid of them

Until (in my experience) they gnaw through your water pipes on new years eve. My friends who were driving through the snow from Bristol to Inverness to stay with me for new year never stop reminding me of a Hogmanay spent without water, sanitation, and because the stove had a water jacket, without heat. Good times.

jamiea
    Free Member

Trap plus chocolate cake = job done!

We caught the little bastard yesterday after a few days running a muck in the loft. Candles were what it was after.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Harry_the_Spider

I had a bit of an issue with a particularly persistent mouse a couple of years back (the little sod even set up his own twitter feed to taunt me – @hootsmon).

Humane trap baited with Mars bars – Fail

Sticky boards baited with Mars bars, jam and peanut butter – Fail. He managed to get himself off them, but we did find that out of the three he preferred jam.

Plastic head smasher type trap from B&Q with “Big Cheese” bait – Result. He managed to get out of the first one but the second one blew his brains out of his arse.

Still finding signs of his damage when we move furniture, but he’s gone along with the smell of mouse piss and the trails of crap that he would leave all over the house.

Get a trap. Kill it.

jamiea
    Free Member

Luckily we caught the bugger before the smell started…

Cheers,
    Jamie

Junkyard
    Free Member

Humane mouse trap?

They did not work IME

saxabar
    Free Member

Don’t bother with a cat, in my experience they bring mice into the house, rather than get rid of them

Indeed – mine also brought in a bat on Tuesday that we had to leave to sleep until it got dark 😕

verses

Another vote for inhumane traps, and there more than likely being many more than 1.

Don’t bother with a cat, in my experience they bring mice into the house, rather than get rid of them. And rats, and frogs, and small birds…..

The sound a cornered frog can make is bloody spine chilling! Especially when you’re half-cut on a Friday night, watching a spooky film, in a dimly lit lounge…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Candles were what it was after.

Those mice love to set the mood.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Candles were what it was after.

They like to read in the dark.

edit: too slow!

dan1980
    Free Member

The humane mouse traps do work, but in my experience you have to get the right ones..

This kind, loaded with bits of twix at the end have been 100% effective for me:

THis kind, not a sausage (or a mouse for that matter) regardless of the bate:

MrNutt
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQYp9fOJ9VI[/video]

camo16
    Free Member

Luckily we caught the bugger before the smell started…

We’ve just taken up our floorboards and found a massacre of poisoned mice.
    Looked pretty bad, but didn’t really smell. 😯

jamiea
    Free Member

The workshop at work is next to a grain store, when I first started it fookin stank of mouse piss, I don’t really notice it now.

One waddled off after taking some bait and made its final resting palce the back of the fridge, atop the comprssor

Cheers,
    Jamie

petrieboy

The tip traps above were almost 100% successful for me (nuttella baited) BUT only humane if you are sitting up waiting for them and immediately. I was releasing them in the field out the back but I swear the same fat fecker was coming back. On the one night I set traps and went to bed, the poor blighter had spent all might furiously scratching his way out. Never made it out but can’t have been very nice. Moved to sureset traps which are easy to set and make clean kills.
    In the end I had 3 kills, filled all the holes in the house and have had no unwanted visitors in 18 months

Legoman
    Free Member

Those humane ones Dan1980 mentioned above worked for me.
    Caught 7 in quick succession with peanut butter.

The only dilema is where to release them. It says on the box you should take them 27 miles away (that may be an exageration), but I just let them go at the bottom of our garden – in fact one escaped right outside the back door. We still seem to be mouse-free though.

jamiea
    Free Member

but I just let them go at the bottom of our garden

FFS 🙄

Cheers,
    Jamie

Northwind

Legoman – Member

The only dilema is where to release them.

We got my grandad a bunch of humane moustraps. He dealt with the “where to release” issue by variously

a) throwing them in a bucket of water and
    b) only checking the traps about once a month

I think the 1903 version of the OED didn’t have the word Humane in it.

jamiea
    Free Member

LOLs!

Cheers,
    Jamie

brakes
    Free Member

we have a mouse which seems reluctant to take bait on traps – it’s just not interested. in fact it doesn’t seem to want to eat anything.
    if I wait up late, it will sometimes come out – normally between 12 and 1am – run across the kitchen and go under the skirting board somewhere else.
    is there a way of catching them on sight? apart from a 12-gauge. like a sonic alarm that will momentarily paralyse it so I can stamp on it’s head?

nedrapier

brakes, you could try a dog whistle of one of those aerosol klaxon things. might be an issue with the rest of the family, though! Sounds frustrating.

The ones at my Dad’s are much more obliging:

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘How do you get rid of a mouse?’ is closed to new replies.