Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • How do you get rid of 5 tonnes of gravel???
  • geminafantasy
    Free Member

My new house came with a back garden covered in gravel which is now sat in 5 * 1tonne builders bags on the front of my lawn. My question is, should I be paying someone to take this away or would a company that supplies gravel take it off my hands for nothing? Would any businesses even want it? Really have no clue what to do with it!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Big f*** off fish tank

Jrrr
    Free Member

put an ad on gumtree/sign out front offering it to a good home

honeybadgerx

Legit businesses struggle to take anything like that as they need a paper trail of where materials have come from, are they not going to kill anyone due to containing asbestos/cat shit/garden gnomes/etc.

I’d have thought if you put a sign up saying ‘free grave’ it’ll disappear quick enough… Otherwise gumtree/skip/taking to your local waste centre.

wwaswas

you could spread it on your back garden to get it out the way?

Yak

I could have done with that a few months ago.

Classfieds – and I’m sure someone will want it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Every time you leave the house, take a pocketful and drop it later in the day.

🙂

Liftman

Padlock & chain the bags to your fence or gate and then someone will nick them :mrgreen:

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zugv1NdMj4[/video]

hooli

Every time you leave the house, take a pocketful and drop it later in the day.

Beaten to it 😀

david47
    Free Member

Freecycle…

cf
    Free Member

I’d say Freecycle as well. I had around 150 flags I needed to get rid of. Within 1 hr of putting an ad up I had about 10 people who wanted them all.

crankboy
    Free Member

if you are in leeds my son will be happy to come and throw it into your neighbours gardens . i’ll take a few small bags off you to replace the stuff he has relocated to neighbours and drains.

wwaswas

I had around 150 flags I needed to get rid of. Within 1 hr of putting an ad up I had about 10 people who wanted them all.

Those bunting collectors are a fanatical lot.

mudshark
    Free Member

Yep Freecycle – everyone should use it – unless someone will buy it on Ebay?

johndoh
    Free Member

Yep, Freecycle/Freegle.

Your only mistake was lifting it yourself – someone who wanted it would have done that too.

DezB
    Free Member

Where are you? I need a bag!

geminafantasy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll stick it up here on the classifieds and then on Freecycle then, I guess the only issue is someone would have to rent/own a lorry that can lift 1 tonne bags on to the back!

DezB – I’m in Derby if that’s close enough?

DezB
    Free Member

No, too far unfortunately 🙁

argee

Do you have any trailbuilding fairies around that might have a use for this to weatherproof bits of a trail?

wwaswas

Do you have any trailbuilding fairies around that might have a use for this to weatherproof bits of a trail?

Fire up the wheelie bin!

(for those that remember….)

rumple
    Free Member

yeah just do an Andy Dufrane and drop it down your trouser leg

nealglover
    Free Member

I had around 150 flags I needed to get rid of. Within 1 hr of putting an ad up I had about 10 people who wanted them all.

Post Olympic Ceremony tear down ?

njee20
    Free Member

I’d have thought if you put a sign up saying ‘free grave‘ it’ll disappear quick enough

Top Freudian slip!

crankboy
    Free Member

put it out front with a sign saying gravel £2 a bag bring your own bag . It will be nicked far quicker than if you offer it for free.

honeybadgerx

njee20 – Member
    I’d have thought if you put a sign up saying ‘free grave’ it’ll disappear quick enough
    Top Freudian slip!

It would probably result in a long line of coked up STWers waiting patiently to get rid of their hookers too….

footflaps

Post it all to UKIP using their freepost address?

iolo
    Free Member

1 tonne bags are bloody heavy.
    You will need someone with a trailer and winch or pickup with grab to take those away. These kind of people tend to be contractors.
    As said above, they need a paper trail or they won’t touch it.
    Call the local skip company. Maybe they can help by supplying a skip and a hiab wagon to load it.

johndoh
    Free Member

1 tonne bags are bloody heavy.

How heavy would that be then?

iolo
    Free Member

😆

OP
    You will need more than one skip and get the biggest you can.

wwaswas

one of those grab and tip lorries is probably best as it’s all ready to go?

MrOvershoot

johndoh – Member
    How heavy would that be then?

Depends on what you put in them 😉

Yes I’m being silly I know, “rated to hold a Tonne”

peterfile
    Free Member

Post it all to UKIP using their freepost address?

😆

beefheart
    Free Member

Just dump it locally, a pocketful at a time.

johndoh
    Free Member

one of those grab and tip lorries is probably best as it’s all ready to go?

Assuming the bags are second-hand, would they even want to/be allowed to (for H&S reasons) lift them?

wwaswas

they can always split the bags and use the grab to lift the gravel?

johndoh
    Free Member

They could do that.

I still think Freecycle is the best bet though (assuming you don’t end up with some clown taking the piss and leaving a mess).

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can you not donate it to chase trails as a building material. All the little pebbles would annoy the hell out of Hora.

marcus
    Free Member

Just remember that as the ‘waste holder’ you have a duty of care to ensure that it (your gravel) is appropriately managed.

spooky_b329

How much do one ton bags weigh? Not such a silly question, around 800kg if buying them!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How do you get rid of 5 tonnes of gravel???’ is closed to new replies.