Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • how do you find/choose a driving instructor?
  • marmaduke
    Free Member

Right now i’m wildly googling with no idea what the difference is. Dundee area if anyone has a suggestion.

I’m worried it’s going to end up like this

[video]http://youtu.be/b3LkyYoC1pA?t=2s[/video]

footflaps

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnVbSNixhdE[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Personal recommendation

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t get any that have dual controls on their car…

peterfile
    Free Member

There’s a female instructor who lives not too far from me who genuinely wouldn’t look out of place on the red carpet at Cannes.

Needless to say, she’s probably the busiest driving instructor in the area! Rumour has it that there’s a waiting list to get a block booking of lessons 😆

My instructor was a middle aged gentleman with something of a flatulence problem, which helped to encourage me to sit my test after 10 lessons.

njee20
    Free Member

Personal recommendation

+1

sandwicheater

Use the same one the other kids at school use.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Firstly, ensure they are a bone fide driving instructor. All driving instructors are regulated by the DSA so they should have a green badge showing they are allowed to teach for money. A red badge is a trainee which doesn’t mean they aren’t any good, just that they are in training and being remotely supervised by a qualified instructor.

I would choose based on the pupils ability to build a relationship with them. You need to be relaxed, feel you can make mistakes and not be embarrassed to swear etc. when you do. Recommedation is probably the best way for initial selection, but don’t be afraid to bin them if the relationship doesn’t work.

I also think the “pass fast” type of instructors should be avoided. The test is just one stage of really learning to drive. A few lessons around test routes and teaching tricks to pass is not proper instruction. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the real objective is to give the pupil the skills to keep them alive (and their passengers) once they are out on their own. This requires time, practice and a wide range of driving experiences in different places and conditions. It’s not a cheap option but what price the life of your child? My mantra as an ADI was “it isn’t the first to pass that’s the winner, it’s the last to have an accident”.

Rich.

marmaduke
    Free Member

cheers, I’m 24 so most people I know who passed did so many years ago so recommendation isn’t really an option. Might just pick one and see how it goes, prices here seem to be around £23/hour which seems like a good price i think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘how do you find/choose a driving instructor?’ is closed to new replies.