Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • How do you finance a new bike?
  • rOcKeTdOg

I hate using credit, even 0% and have only bought things I actually have the money for but today’s bikes seem more & more out of reach (see the latest Yeti) so how do you pay for the latest stuff?

ferrals
    Free Member

I use credit, make sure I can afford it and go 0%. My latest bike I took out an interest free credit card as I got a better deal doing that rather than using the shop finance.

binners

How do you finance a new bike?

Armed robbery, shoplifting and drug dealing mainly.

In reality… I don’t. New bikes? Yeah, right. 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont buy the latest stuff and dont buy it new. Cold hard cash i put asside each month to feed my habits!

– applies to cars – it equipment – clothes , a/v equipment

Not being fashionable saves me a fortune.

scotroutes

I just don’t buy them if I can’t afford them. That Yeti is well out of what I’d consider my bike-buying budget.

TBF, I’ve had a bike via C2W, which is a sort of “credit” arrangement.

thepodge
    Free Member

buy second hand and only then when it matches a tight wad Yorkshireman’s pocket

nickc

I hate using credit

If you can afford it, and it’s short term, why do you hate it?

breadcrumb

I don’t buy silly expensive bikes!

Use savings and/or sell old stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2nd last one was cash and deferred payment arranged with LBS over 3 months.
    last one is on credit, deal was very good and will work out good when it’s paid off.

jonathan
    Free Member

I don’t. Can’t possibly justify that much on just me in the face of other financial demands (children, house, car, holidays).

cokie

Savings. I never use credit. I only buy things I can afford outright. It’s a bit of OCD I have.

I know I’ll end up with a mortgage soon at which point I’ll be even more OCD about money.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Affording credit is a loose term.

My definition of affording credit is having the cash set asside in the bank for that specific purpose and using 0% to profit onte savings

Most folks i know in my localitys idea of affording it is being able to meet the monthly.

rOcKeTdOg

I hate using credit

If you can afford it, and it’s short term, why do you hate it?

I just hate being in debt & although I could scrape together enough to pay it off in the back of my mind I’m thinking if a big bill comes in, heating breaks, car probs etc then I’m stretched to breaking point. Just paranoid & not an optimist I guess

ton

0% cards.
    why bother using cash in your bank when you can use someone elses…..no brainer to me.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I have no objection in principle to using credit but I’ve always been able to get a better deal with cold hard cash.

binners

I am eternally grateful for the idiots with more more than sense discerning early-adapting consumers who buy the latest stuff, don’t use it, them flog it for half what they paid for it

God bless you all!

*wanders over to the classifieds*

😀

edward2000
    Free Member

Credit Cards – if managed correctly, give you the benefit of added insurance and other benefits such as reward points. And also they let you keep hold of your cash for a little longer 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I looked at a Yeti this time last year, about a grand off the rrp and 3 years 0% finance. But it was a 26er so I walked away because I can’t see into the future.

jam-bo

I buy s/h bikes and parts for a fraction of what that yeti is priced at. they might not be as shiny but they are just as much fun to ride.

binners

I looked at a Yeti this time last year, about a grand off the rrp and 3 years 0% finance. But it was a 26er so I walked away because I can’t see into the future.

hoverboards, apparently. They’re already here. Have been for years. But they won’t release them because they can’t decide on an optimum size for the jets. There are presently 3 options…

jmatlock
    Free Member

Has to be cash for me, really good realstionship with my LBC means in there, cash is king.

I cant imagine paying £100 a month for 3 years when the item devalues so much, so quickly.

Save up, pay cash.

earl_brutus

pay cash buying a model a few years old works for me, I know what to look for and go on condition, saves me thousands. Only thing I use credit for is my mortgage

hilldodger
    Free Member

0% cards = free money with transaction protection and goods insurance – silly not to really 😀

andylc
    Free Member

What on earth is wrong with interest free credit?? I use it regularly, although not because I can’t afford things just because it is super easy and great value. I usually only do it if I have enough savings to ensure that I could pay it off if I needed to. If you have a decent regular income then interest free credit feels like free, because you don’t really notice the money and just budget a little each month to accommodate it. What’s not to like…?

scc999

I only buy stuff when I can afford to pay for it.
    I may pay by credit card but pay it off in full when the bill turns up.

As has been mentioned above I also don’t buy really expensive kit and got a better deal for not using credit.

Si

ton

What on earth is wrong with interest free credit??

nothing in my eyes. suppose it depends on your situation. suits me.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Loaned to the hilt – life’s to short to ride shit bikes

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Overtime.

When I work overtime it gets put in the bank account to go towards bikes and stuff like that. If I want a new bike and I’ve not got the money to pay cash then it goes on a 0% card and my overtime pays the card off.

fathomer

Save up, I don’t like being in debt. I do use the credit card to buy most things though but pay it off immediately.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I buy new but only pay cash or get the 0% deal on a card & already have the funds in the bank to cover the debt if something goes wrong.
    That said the most I’ve ever paid for a bike was £2000 for a Speccy Enduro back in 2005..

earl_brutus

interest free credit is a bit of a myth in my eyes, yuo can always negotiate a harder deal with cash as the interest is not really ‘free’, its just absorbed into the list price and hence mark up on the bike you buy.

frood
    Free Member

I’m with trail rat, I only buy what I can pay for in cash. You can always build a bike from parts and upgrade as you go/wear stuff out/break stuff. You can build up quite a fleet, as we both know 🙂

Sundayjumper

Buy second hand.

Or have a relative who works in the bike biz 🙂

m360
    Free Member

today’s bikes seem more & more out of reach (see the latest Yeti) so how do you pay for the latest stuff?

Don’t buy the latest stuff? Be happy with what you have?

If you feel happier not having debts then you’ll feel happier riding what you have and not what’s got you on the monthly.

Personally I think buying used/in sales/self-builds are the way to combat this. You spec the bike/frame/parts that you can afford at the time and upgrade when funds allow.

hilldodger
    Free Member

By “interest free credit” I mean using a 0% card, not an in store finance deal, and the card has always had the same discount blagging power as hard cash in my LBS 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I beg, plead and generally demean myself in front of the children until MrsMC takes pity on me and issues strict instructions as to how much money I can have and what I must sell in order to pay for the new inner tube whatever it is I wish to purchase.

God help me if the planned job/role swap takes place and she becomes the main wage earner. 😥

ton

interest free credit is a bit of a myth in my eyes, yuo can always negotiate a harder deal with cash as the interest is not really ‘free’, its just absorbed into the list price and hence mark up on the bike you buy.

disagree with this.
    most businesses don’t want to deal in cash nowadays. I work on a trade counter, we are currently bringing in a account or credit only system.

in the world of any business cash is no longer king.

willard

New is a very odd concept. Ok, both my Malt 2 and Malt-R were new, but got justified because they were heavily reduced, I had the cash spare and was preparing to make my final capital purchases for a while (think of it as a yearly toy budget blow-out). It helped that my previous bike had been stolen and I needed another one.

I’ve just bought a full sus though and, after many. many hours of reviewing and soul searching, I just could not justify spending a shit-tonne of money on a brand spanker, despite loving the Bronson and secretly liking the Aeris. So, I ended up buying a second hand 2012 Stumpy from a man in Bracknell.

It cost about the same as my Malt 2 and I think I have had far less buyer’s remorse than I would have done if I had spanked 2.5k on an Aeris or 3.5 on a Bronson.

I paid for it with cash, because I had the spare cash saved up for it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“in the world of any business cash is no longer king.”

Depends if your dealing with the owner of said business or not.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Mainly cash (or at least a credit card which is then paid off in full). I have one bike on cycle to work though and a few years ago did 0% shop finance (could have bought it outright but made more sense to use their money).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘How do you finance a new bike?’ is closed to new replies.