Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • How do you complain about offensive comedians?
  • pondo

Went to an event last night that was more than 75% not as advertised – the bit we went for was good, but only lasted half an hour, and we got about an hour and forty minutes of offensive comedians and memorabilia auctions. I’ve got in touch with the promoters to request a refund but the comedians were offensively bad – sexist, racist, homophobic, all that Bernard Manning stuff that made the seventies so great. The audience seemed largely to be lapping it up but I don’t think that tacking “it’s only a joke” on the end makes it ok. So – do I just need to MTFU, or is there somewhere I can complain?

jimjam
    Free Member

pondo
    is there somewhere I can complain?

I think you’ve come to the right place 😕

EDIT: Unless you feel you’ve been miss sold something by the organisers I really don’t see much grounds for complaint. If most others were laughing then it appears the comedians knew their audience and played accordingly.

chakaping
    Free Member

UKIP Christmas party?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Was it actually offending you personally or you just feel it was not PC?

thomthumb
    Free Member

was this in the north?

Northwind

Heckle like ****. Nothing complicated, something like “oy mate, you got any jokes that don’t make it so obvious you’re a total ****”. You’ll soon find out if you’re alone and if you’re not they’ll usually switch material.

matt_outandabout

UKIP Christmas party?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Why did you stay?

If I was at a show that was rubbish, I would leave. If it was also offensive I would probably leave quicker.

was this in the north?

I hope this is a joke?

Joe

I love people like you. Do you really have that little going on, that this is worth your time and effort? How much were the tickets?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

was it a football club fundraiser?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’m a bit of a comedy geek. I’d hate that kind of thing

That’s really unusual these days. Who were the comedians? What was the event?

Feedback to the promoter isn’t a bad thing.
    Feedback to the comedian by groaning or not applauding, or walking out is OK. Heckles, except as you leave, are taking a knife to a gunfight.

Bottom line is, not all comedians are for everyone. you do not have a right to not be offended, but you do have a right not to be sold tickets to rubbish, and not to hear stuff which totally crosses hate speech boundaries.

If you do feel the show has been missold or is bad, walk out.
    Staying for a show you hate, is a bit like sending back a steak which has been overcooked when there is only one mouthful left.

mikey3
    Free Member

Is this a thread to corrall all the quotathon weirdos who never leave the house?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

no mikey 3 – it’s a thread to corrall all those who have nothing relevant or funny to add and yet post despite it. 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

May we have an example please Chalky, I need cheering up.

BoardinBob

Any examples of the material?

binners

but the comedians were offensively bad – sexist, racist, homophobic, all that Bernard Manning stuff that made the seventies so great.

You could always try to flog them some calanders

edlong
    Free Member

was it a football club fundraiser?

Nothing raises the prospect of “comedy” that fails to acknowledge that the 1980s happened than the words “Sportsman’s Dinner” printed on a ticket…

deepreddave
    Free Member

Feedback. You might get free tickets to a future event which might be described more accurately. There is a risk in this strategy but at least by then you’ll know a range of acceptable reactions available to you.
    I don’t suppose there were any scantily clad promotional ladies there?

konabunny
    Free Member

Heckles, except as you leave, are taking a knife to a gunfight.

Heh – they’ve had more practice than you and they have a microphone!

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

A little off topic but Gazza is trying to blame his latest crazy episode on the fallout from cracking a racist joke about a bouncer at one of his speaking events.

He does have form for this sort of thing though. Pint of Guinness anyone?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You need to contact the clown prosecution service.

(taken me all morning to think of that, so you’d better like it)

tomd
    Free Member

Start a Facebook campaign and get an article in the Daily Mail / Express about how you had saved up for years to treat your mum (who’s not well) to a family comedy show only to find it was a bit offensive and you want it banned. Ideally accompanied by a photo of you looking glum with your arms folded.

project
    Free Member

DONT YOU HAVE A TV, theyre quite widely available and show some absolute politically correct drivel.

If you where offended walk out, switch off or waste your time being offended on a bike forum.

binners

binners

In all seriousness though, I believe the commonly acknowledged course of action nowadays to anything you don’t like is to start an internet petition

Drac

Was Tyson Fury one of the comedians? Because if so it’s Ok as it’s just the way he is.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Heckles, except as you leave, are taking a knife to a gunfight.

Went to one gig at a place at the Bonding Warehouse in York where one of the “comedians” picked on a large guy in the audience.

Turned out to be one of the named acts for the evening. Rather than “and others”.

He got shredded.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

chapeau 🙂 got no hits for that on Google – rather good.

project that’s not exactly a suprising response from you, is it?!

Drac

Turned out to be one of the named acts for the evening. Rather than “and others”.

WOW! What were the chances of that. 😉

dannybgoode

I went to some charity fundraiser and not only was the comedian pretty offensive at times he also thought he could get away with recycling some (very) old jokes from real comedians.

He did the Lenny Henry Kingston Airport one for example.

of course I was very upset and did that good ol’ British thing of syaing nothing and politely clapping at the end of his act.

dorsetknob
    Free Member

Just don’t go and see that comedian again, but if the majority were lapping it up don’t be a PC killjoy because some of us still like old fashion humour we were brought up on.
    In my eyes a lot of modern so called comedians are just not funny but I wouldn’t complain.

andyrm
    Free Member

Change.org seem to like shit like this.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Drac Indeed… But I hope that was legit.

I went to a not very good comedy night a few weeks ago, and one act had died on his arse. I’ve never heckled a partially-sighted comedian before, but he really deserved it…

Anyway – the Compere then did some crowd-work to try and get things going again, and made the mistake of asking one of my friends what he did for a living… who answered briefly “Writer”, and then the compere asked what he wrote, at which my friend, totally accurately, said “Jokes”…

At which point the compere became slightly embarassed and moved on quickly. Still treasure that,

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You are perfectly entitled to think it was a set up. But it wasn’t.

jekkyl

just complain to your partner in the car on the way home, no-one else cares. 🙂

pondo

Unless you feel you’ve been miss sold something by the organisers I really don’t see much grounds for complaint. If most others were laughing then it appears the comedians knew their audience and played accordingly.

Well, the event was titled “An Evening With <person>”, none of the blurb mentioned anything other than that person, so I reckon with the person being on stage for less than a quarter of the show there has to be an element of misselling. That’s just my uninformed opinion, to be fair.

Was it actually offending you personally or you just feel it was not PC?

Now that’s an interesting question! The only bits that I could claim would be applicable to me were the fat jokes, I don’t know if that means I can’t be offended by sexism, racism, homophobia, etc.

Why did you stay? If I was at a show that was rubbish, I would leave. If it was also offensive I would probably leave quicker.

Fair shout. We wanted to see the person we paid to see, and we didn’t know we’d have to wait through 100 minutes of bile to get to them – if I’d have known how long the journey was going to be, I’d have got off at the start.

I love people like you.

And I love people like you, too. I feel like we just made the world a better place. 🙂

I’m a bit of a comedy geek. I’d hate that kind of thing

That’s really unusual these days. Who were the comedians? What was the event?

Feedback to the promoter isn’t a bad thing.
    Feedback to the comedian by groaning or not applauding, or walking out is OK. Heckles, except as you leave, are taking a knife to a gunfight.

Bottom line is, not all comedians are for everyone. you do not have a right to not be offended, but you do have a right not to be sold tickets to rubbish, and not to hear stuff which totally crosses hate speech boundaries.

If you do feel the show has been missold or is bad, walk out.
    Not a geek but I do like a comedian and I felt massively let down, I don’t remember their names, but I will look them up and will post in here if I find them. The event was “An Evening With” a sporting celebrity, and no mention was made whatsoever of comedians or auctions on the venue’s website – it wouldn’t necessarily have put me off if there had been, but at least I would have known what to expect.

Any examples of the material?

One of the world’s most annoying things is how 99% of what I saw at comedy gigs leaves my head as I walk out the door, so I canonly remember bits and bobs. 🙁
    – A larger gentleman walks in so the comedian does a Humpty Dumpty joke
    – Bloke walks in wearing glasses, comedian does a joke about Penfold and how the guy is so cross eyed, when he cries his tears go down his back
    – One about arriving in the area and seeing a house made up for someone’s 16th birthday with a sign saying world’s greatest grandmother
    – A long monologue about a chinese restaurant all done in a mock SE Asian accent the only bit of which I can remember is, about a marriage proposal, the comedian asked “did you go down on one knee?” “no, One Knee left last month”, lots of references to Wan King and Fu King, etc etc
    – Loads of variations to blokes in the front rows along the lines of “all right lads, saw you at my last gig didn’t I? The transgender society” etc etc.
    – To a lady in the audience – “she’s wearing glasses, I’ve always wanted to make love to a beautiful woman wearing glasses – can you lend them to her over there?”
    – The first one went on a long monologue that he was proud to say he could get 79 chocolate references into – Ferrerao Rochere meets Polo Rowntree, gives her a finger of fudge in her snickers that gives her turkish delight, etc etc. Just shit.
    There was one about Hitler and the holocaust and at least one about rape, I kind of both do and don’t wish I could remember them in detail – in the cold light of day I can accept that maybe I’m being a sensitive little petal about some of the material, but rape jokes?
    Think I’ve kind of answered my own question about the complaint, not a lot I can complain about if I can’t remember the material.

I don’t suppose there were any scantily clad promotional ladies there?

Would it surprise you to learn that there were?

You need to contact the clown prosecution service. (taken me all morning to think of that, so you’d better like it)

I most assuredly do, thank you. 🙂

Was Tyson Fury one of the comedians?

He is this events company’s next “An Evening With…” person.

pondo

For the record the person we saw was spot on, and had it just been half an hour of them, I’d have come away happy (well, feeling a bit short-changed, but happier than I did come away).

crankboy
    Free Member

Got to love the Brudnel Club in leeds a solid heckle to a racist/sexist/homophobic comedian from a very well built white chav “hey mate anymore shit like that and you will be leaving in an ambulance” comedian dried up for a bit then modified his act.

Drac

He called someone Penfold?

Quick get me the PM on the phone.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Got to love the Brudnel Club in leeds a solid heckle to a racist/sexist/homophobic comedian from a very well built white chav

Chavs eh !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘How do you complain about offensive comedians?’ is closed to new replies.