Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How do you carry an SLR camera while snowboarding?
  • GrahamS

A snowy twist on the recurring “How do I carry an SLR while biking?”…

At the moment I am using a Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW:

This is pretty good. It can hold my camera (Nikon D80), 3 lenses (long, normal, wide) and some filters. It has a cover if the weather turns bad and it is easy to access quickly.

But ideally I’d like something that had compartments for other non-photographic kit like goggles, extra layer etc.

Is there anything similar, but bigger with separate “stuff” bits?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Dakine have a SLR biking bag.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Tamrac Expedition 5x probably fits the bill.

woody2000

Carefully!! Heyhey, bdumtish 🙂

andym
    Free Member

woody – I was thinking that…

DaKine do (or used to do) a camera bag for snowboarding etc). Built like the brick proverbial, but a bit OTT if you just want something to troll around with a camera.

Wrapped up in a jumper inside a normal snowboarding backpack?

GrahamS

MMM.. just been looking at the Dakine Sequence

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Sequence.html

Which has a removable camera pod inside it and is apparently a ”super well thought out bag”. 🙂

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Ive used a Burton Snowboards bag which is very similar to the DaKine one.

A work of warning however – these bags however well designed will never protect your camera 100% and insurance (that will actually pay out) is essential.

I went down hard on some off piste (and i mean hard – steep bowl, falling / rolling for a hundred meters plus vert + lots horizontally) resulted in a lens snapping off the mount.

GrahamS

Carefully!! Heyhey, bdumtish

Yeah, but hey, it’s insured.

I often end up with it on a strap round my neck and just tucked into my jacket.
    That way I can take action pics while I’m boarding along next to someone.

(what was it I was saying in that other thread about boarding sensibly…?)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

2nd Vote for Tamrac.

GrahamS

Where would I put other stuff in the Tamrac?

It looks like it is all for camera stuff:

Ewan
    Free Member

I have LowePro TLZ AW that I stick in a Camelbak menance. I’ll let you know how well it works next week! I’m limited to one lens tho (70-200 F4L on a 30D most of the time I should think).

duntmatter
    Free Member

Tamrac products are built to a very high standard. Better than lowepro imho. Get your hands on one and you’ll see what I mean.

GrahamS

Fair enough, but I’m after something that has separate compartments for other (possibly damp) gear.

That Tamrac looks like an excellent bag, but I’m not sure it has what I need for boarding.

duntmatter
    Free Member

They seem to have a lot of different bags. Check ’em out.. http://www.tamrac.co.uk/

GrahamS

Hmmm… the Tamrac Adventure bags have more potential…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How do you carry an SLR camera while snowboarding?’ is closed to new replies.