Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • How do the top riders train for 24 hours solo ?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

I created a training plan based on this

http://www.mont24.com.au/gear/?IntCatId=25&IntContId=7531

to fit in with my life and it was still tough, I didnt manage to follow it to the letter.

Thats was to compete in my first 24hr Solo Mayhem. I’m a fairly old git with lots of previous injuries but I didn’t want to just survive..

I finished 28th, mostly due to waiting on the last lap as I didn’t want to do the final lap and finish an hour later, I really didn’t like the course but I was surprised how good I felt. I could have gone faster in two ways, stopped less and upped the pace but I wanted to be very careful not to blow up.

I quickly discovered I needed a HR monitor and a turbo trainer!!

Lots on here are more accomplished and focused on training than I but I can see there is loads of great advice.

The biggest realisation was when Mike Hall said don’t stop, that is the killer, amazing how a slower pace without stopping is faster over 24hrs.

5mins a lap over 24hrs is 125mins or 2 hours, 2 laps!!!

I will be aiming to compete more in future I think…

Chainline
    Free Member

First lap was a nightmare too with someone being taken off course due to injury causing a huge queue and a half hour wait…forgot that..

I finished it thinking I would only do the one and that team racing was more fun, but having then raced 24/12 in a team, i found myself wishing I was solo!! Go figure..

Nicolai would be a good strong choice by the way Graham, but I’ve said that before…

avdave2

amazing how a slower pace without stopping is faster over 24hrs

It’s just like when you overtake a caravan on the motorway. A couple of hours later you pull in to a service station have a quick wee get on the road again drive for another 2 hours and then pass the same dam caravan.

Chainline
    Free Member

Ha, dead right, why I was always quicker on my old BMW bike, it wasn’t fast but it had a HUGE fuel tank!

Aidan
    Free Member

I tend to plough my own furrow that can involve 24 hrs at a stretch and I’ve found commuting by bike to be destructive for training. Too unfocused (neither fast or slow, traffic, lights) and too easy to do when you should be resting instead. I got on better with working from home and training on the turbo in the winter. It was lucky that I could do that but it made me realise not to lean too much on the commute.

If you have lots of other life commitments, poor quality bike time is poison.

doglover
    Free Member

Being a novice enduro rider for several years I still find the bulid up fantastic with training but then post event I feel deflated and riding efforts drops for a good 2-3 weeks. Anybody else get this ?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Considering going the turbo trainer route. Single so I can put it in front the TV and I could do some serious base mileage. The one really positive thing about training is my riding pleasure has improved, Im quicker, better rider now that I have a good fitness level. Im enjoying my MTB a lot more.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Is there a good site that explains how to train using a power meter?

scratch
    Free Member

Fantastic thread, inspirational stuff, makes me want to ditch the road bike next year.

alexathome
    Free Member

Is there a good site that explains how to train using a power meter?

i found the 14 day program on this http://www.training4cyclists.com/vo2-max-booster-program-%E2%80%93-intervals-targeted-for-vo2-max/ to be good. You need a good base of course, which is painful and ever so boring to build on a turbo.

I used to extend my ride home from work (to about 1.5 hours) and ride at the weekend 3 hours plus to prepare for the 12 hour i was doing. It was my first one (and last) and came 5th i think in my group. You need motivation, mine was to beat the lad 10 years my junior that worked in my bike shop. You might also need some paracetamol, i know i did.

Basically you need a good base, to circumvent fatigue and injury – and available ‘top end’ speed, that you may never use during the race, but will mean that you are always working at well below your max, and not burning your matches.

Above all – never give up, and never stop, until you have destroyed the junior employee/mate/old fat lady/yourself etc.

I might do another one some day, knee permitting – good luck.

blanche
    Free Member

Hi Pawsey_Bear
    Power411helps with a basic understanding of using power. It’s written by the guys that write “Training and Racing with a Powere Meter.”

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘How do the top riders train for 24 hours solo ?’ is closed to new replies.