Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How do the seatbelt sensors work on my Mazda 6?
  • paul4stones

The rear sensors that beep if someone in the back unclips have developed an intermittent fault where they beep randomly and inappropriately to much irritation. I’ve just spent half an hour grovelling to see if I can find a frayed wire or something but I can’t see any wires or indeed any clue as to how they work!

Anyone any ideas?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I get the same problem occasionally in my 2006 Citroen C4.

To make it go away I keep the offending belt fastened. Same one every time, near side rear

burko73

On my old freelander 2 you could switch the beeps off with a sneaky fix. I googled it and it was on some forum somewhere but basically you sit in the seat, switch the ignition on to stage 2 but don’t crank it over and then unbuckle and buckle up the seatbelt 10 times within 60 secs. This then displays the red seatbelt light on the dash and beeps once for a few seconds and low and behold, you are beep free when driving with the seatbelt off with only the red dash light lit up. This works like this until you reverse it by doing the same thing again.

Before anyone thinks I’m a lawbreaking numpty with a death wish it’s because when I had the vehicle I spent a considerable amount of time driving it off the public road with a lot of stop start driving opening gates, looking at jobs etc where the constant on/ off of the belt was a pain in the ar£e.

It also works on fords as I used the same fix on a number of our company ford focuses. My current work truck which is a ford ranger (too old for beepers thankfully) is also a Mazda underneath hence my post here, it might be that your Mazda uses the same “cheat” to turn off the beepers. When I asked at the landrover dealer where they recode things on the ecu for various reasons ( they turned off my auto door locking) they said the seatbelt buzzer couldn’t be switched off. Ha.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

In the front of our Mazda 5, the weight of an unladen booster cushion intermittently triggers the “seat occupied but no seatbelt” warning. Could this be happening to you?

Also, could damp have got into the seat where the occupant sensing mat is?

I’d put my money on it being the presence sensor rather than the seatbelt one. Also, all these things have connectors under the seats or carpets. Can’t hurt to unplug them and reconnect. Might just sort out dirty, damp or loose connection.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Get a seatbelt buckle from a scrapyard and plug it into the offending clip.

paul4stones

Yes, I should have said that the beeper generally goes when there is anyone in the back seat whether they’re plugged in or not. I think it probably is the weight sensor rather than the buckle as it sometimes sets off when you go over a bump. I can’t localise it to a particular seat and it does it whether all the buckles are done up or not. The puzzle is how it works – I can’t see any wires or anything that might pass the info to whatever activates the beep.

Might try the 10x in 60secs thing. So far google hasn’t helped me.

paul4stones

I think I may have solved this if anyone is interested.

The seat buckle strap forms a tube through which the cable passes. It looks like mine had been cut and had disappeared down this tube. Clipping the buckle must break the circuit but on mine the two cut ends of the wire could just make contact thus making the sensor think the buckle was un clipped. Properly separating these two cut ends seems to have fixed it 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How do the seatbelt sensors work on my Mazda 6?’ is closed to new replies.