Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • How do suicide shifters work?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.

So I’m looking for a friction shifter with oversized (34.9mm I believe) clamp.

Would I be able to run a inner cable going straight from the shifter to the front mech (if top pull), or will there not be enough friction in the system (if they normally use guides etc too?)/cable angled wrong?

Also seen that you can get front mechs with friction shifters built right into them (http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/suicide-shifters.html , thanks APF), guessing they’re no longer available?

Ta, Duane.

Duane…
    Free Member

Oh, and if anyone has a suitable shifter for grabs/sale, please let me know 🙂

warton
    Free Member

Lance ran the front shifter on the downtube for weight and cage trimming reasons.

I never knew what it was for, just thought it was some strange set up he liked. Now I know.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve definately got a shifter in the shed somewhere, pop me an e-mail and I’ll chuck it in the post.

For the band you’ll need to bear in mind most seatubes are a different diameter for the mech and at the seat clamp. So pick where you want the shifter and measure it with some callipers. It might be easier on the seatpost (if you don’t plan to raise or lower it) as 27.2 I think was also the diameter of downtubes on some steel bikes.

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers, will drop you an email. Guessing it will just be the normal 28 or 28.6mm though?

Unfortunately I raise and lower the saddle a lot, bike is used for jumping as well as XC (hence wanting this kind of shifter), so really needs to be on the seat tube. Maybe I can bodge something up involving a hose clip or similar?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Maybe I can bodge something up involving a hose clip or similar?

maybe this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=745

😀

skiboy
    Free Member

Simplex made the best shifters/levers, i remember getting a pair for my TT road bike in 83-84, retro-friction i think

Duane…
    Free Member

thomthumb, oooh, very good shout, cheers!

Will look into Simplex, ta.

Duane…
    Free Member

Hmm, how do most friction shifters actually work? Does the clamp have a bolt part, with a nut holding it all together, or does a bolt thread through all the parts into the clamp? Looks like most have the former, so the DMR clamp wouldnt work.

Duane…
    Free Member

double

njee20
    Free Member

Can I ask why? If you have no cable guides can you not just use clamp on cable stops/zip ties with full length outer?

kilo

Simplex made the best shifters/levers, i remember getting a pair for my TT road bike in 83-84, retro-friction i think

They were a thing of beauty, had them with a Mavic SSC rear mech and Campag super Record front – lovely

Duane…
    Free Member

I don’t like having loads of cables, they get in the way when X-upping, crashing on jumps etc.

njee20
    Free Member

Single ring…

Duane…
    Free Member

I want to be able to get up vaguely steep hills, but also ride vaguely quickly when commuting.

Duane…
    Free Member

(I currently have single ring)

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How do suicide shifters work?’ is closed to new replies.