Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How do identify which version of the xt chainset that I have
  • pmc00per
    Free Member

I need to replace the middle chain ring on my xtchainset. I have had a look on crc and mine looks like the 770. The middle chainring comes with a note that says it only works with this model and none of the others.

Is there a way to work out which version I have, before I shellnout for the new one?

mboy
    Free Member

Model number will be stamped somewhere on the crank, usually on the back of the arms, by the pedal thread.

singlespeedstu

The middle chainring comes with a note that says it only works with this model and none of the others.

I’d not read too much into that…

pmc00per
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll have another look on the arms.

twohats
    Free Member

I’d not read too much into that…

I would.
    Current 10 speed XT middle ring won’t fit on a lot of cranksets…

cheburashka
    Free Member

One of the XT chainsets from a few years ago (760 or 770) had a different internal diameter middle ring so it could make quite a difference getting the right one.

takisawa2

Wasn’t it fitting the old 760 XT rings onto Deore that was the issue ?

Either way I swapped rings around & had no issues. Doubt many folk with Deore cranks fitted XT rings anyway.

Dickyboy

xt m770 middle chainring (9 & 10 speed) won’t fit many other cranks due to the width of the composite part of the chainring, for instance m771 std chainring will fit m770 & m771 cranks but m770 composite chainring won’t fit m771 crank – as mboy says ref number will be stamped on inside of crank near pedal thread – just make sure you read off the drive side crank to be sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How do identify which version of the xt chainset that I have’ is closed to new replies.