Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How do I view my emails with a private domain name address?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

we own the domain xxxx.com and my email address is aaaa@xxxx.com. As there is no website as such, I can’t think how to actually view emails (ie sign into aaaa@xxxx.com) on my home PC, android phone etc
    Any pointers please?

scotroutes

If no one is actually hosting the site then there’s nowhere for the emails to go to so you can get to them. If you mean you have a host but haven’t built a website then you’ll just use POP or similar to get to them (or a webmail client)

Cougar

The website and email are different things.

If you’ve got an email configured as a@x.com, you’ve presumably set that up somewhere. Where?

Typically you’d either have some sort of email hosting as part of the web hosting or name registration you’ve bought, or point it off somewhere else. Mine’s set up (in the control panel where my domain is registered, not hosted) to forward everything@mydomain to a regular webmail account.

slowoldman

The domain is hosted by someone and you should have access to configure certain settings on it. Amongst those may be email forwarding. You can use that to forward mail from aaaa@xxxx.com to any POP account. Well that’s how I do it anyway.

nickjb
    Free Member

I forward all mine to my hotmail. I can also access it directly using the mail app on my phone and Thunderbird on my PC. Need the settings but the people you pay money to should have those.

tinribz
    Free Member

Hosts usually have some sort of web mail app in the control panel, look for squirrel mail or something.

brant
    Free Member

Or mail2web.com

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ok cheers, the boss set them up on the iPads at work, but I presume under instruction from someone as he now hasn’t a clue how to do it on other devices.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You need to point the MX records for the domain to a mail server.

Google apps can handle this. It’s not free though.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/33352?hl=en

Cougar

You need to point the MX records for the domain to a mail server.

You don’t need to do that at all. Or rather, you do, but it might not be an external email server.

When you register the domain, you set DNS records up to point an A (address) to your website (99.9% of the time which is www.) and MX records to point to where your MX (Mail eXchange) is. This may be performed directly by manipulating DNS records, or through a friendly portal / control panel provided by the domain registrar.

The MX can be an external mail server as torsoetc says. It can also be itself – ie, the MX of your domain registrar – in which case you’d then use the registrar’s control panel to define what you do with your mail. You might have mailboxes on there (typically you’d pay extra for that) or you could set rules to forward the mail on to another account such as an existing Hotmail / Gmail / ISP provided account. Or, your website hosting package might also provide mail functionality which you may choose to use, in which case your MX and A records will probably be the same IP address.

What I do is the second option. I have my domain registered with 123-reg and a website hosted by a mate who happens to own a web server. I don’t have any additional provision for email. 123-reg gives me direct access to the DNS records so I’ve defined the A record (actually, recordS as I use www. and blog.) to point to my mate’s server and the MX record to point to 123-reg. Within 123-reg’s control panel I’ve then set up email forwarding rules to say “send all email to this Gmail account” (bar a few specific addresses which are either blocked or go to other places).

So the answer to “where is my mail” is “wherever you’ve configured it to be” I’m afraid.

Cougar

Ok cheers, the boss set them up on the iPads at work, but I presume under instruction from someone as he now hasn’t a clue how to do it on other devices.

Wait, hang on. We’ve all misunderstood what you’re asking I think. You’re saying all this is set up and working, yes? The iPads are working and receiving emails, and you want to add more clients?

If that’s the case, I’d start with one of the iPads, go into settings and look how the email account is configured. That’ll give you all the settings you need (apart from passwords).

I’d be amazed if someone set all this up on your behalf and didn’t provide client setup instructions, (unless it was a while ago and you’ve lost it.)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, managed to do it using brants link and, using advanced settings, copied the host info off my works ipad.
    EDIT :Yeah did exactly what cougar suggests

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How do I view my emails with a private domain name address?’ is closed to new replies.