Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How do I train without using my knee?
  • JCornford

I am booked in to see the Orthopaedic surgeon in a months time to get the cartilage damge in my knee sorted out which is keeping me off the bike, does anyone have any tips of exercise I can do to stop me loosing my fitness that doesn't stress the knee?

Denno17
    Free Member

Swimming is low impact so try aqua aerobics.

Keva
    Free Member

front crawl ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Swiming is good for keeping fat off and building upper body muscle, makes you look good. But doesn't transfer to much else, I found I was out of breath after so much as a short jog after swiming for 3 months.

Rowing is good (for me) once you start to recover, posibly even more stress placed on the cardiovascular system than cycling, but seems to put less stress on my knees.

Buy loads of tubigrip, helped me no end, just wear it at night and I find my days are much more pain free.

Ohh and when they say "you'll walk out of here this afternoon" they'r not lying, as you'll be high as a kite on painkillers. Its the next two weeks in agony on the sofa you have to be worried about. Took about 5 weeks to get the OK to go swimming, about 12 weeks before I could ride again (there's a difference between their definition of cycling and yours and mine).

Take it easy, mine re-lapsed about 6 months in, if it hurts, stop and call someone for a lift home and rest it untill its completely pain free again, still debating what to do about it (ignore it and live with the pain or go back in for another look).

JCornford

I will try front crawl and see how that goes, if necceasry I will just do my arms. I'm not quite sure what is going to happen yet, I've got to go and have a camera put in my knee first I believe. I don't want to rush back too quickly and screw things up but I also want to be as fit and fast as possible for next season.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How do I train without using my knee?’ is closed to new replies.