Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • how do i tell if a car has been used as a taxi?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

looking at a used people carrier and its ran out of tax.guy say tax can be arranged but im suspicious as i belive taxi are a differnt taxation class and as such need the v5 changing if going back to P.L.G.?

ziggy
    Free Member

No VED stays the same, check for holes in dash, excess wiring in dash/fusebox, even small clues like remains of sticky backing for licence plates. However the biggest issue is often clocking. Most Taxis are well maintained, round these parts they get checked twice a year MOT style by our LA. Even damaged body panels are now regarded as a fail.

Flash
    Free Member

Puke on the back seat, mobile phones on the floor, people keep waving at you when you drive it.

Keva
    Free Member

all taxis have a rattly dashboard.

hora
    Free Member

Hang on. Someone kindly emailed me this:

If it was owned by an owner-driver it would only have to be registered with the DVLA as a private car with a private individuals name and address.

Assuming you don't want to ring all the borough councils in the north west :OP you could look for a few tell-tale signs.

Firstly, the car is petrol not diesel. Although if regulations allow cheaper cars to be used the fuel saving becomes irrelevant (our council demand that the car is less than 5 years old).

Look inside for taxi business cards. They are **** and get EVERYWHERE. Have a peek down the side of gearstick/handbrake gaiters… Every single one of my cars and every loan taxi I've had has had old taxi cards stuck somewhere.

It will have carried a local authority plate, so look for drill/screw marks around the back, or tape marks if it has been stuck to the window. Some clever holders sit beneath the number plate and poke out, so look for marks and scratching above and below the rear plate.

It may have carried door signs. These are magnetic and if you trap dirt, they mark the paint. Also check the bootlid (ariel fitment) for similar marks.

Anywhere marked in the dash/footwell area? They will have needed a radio, a meter, a cash tray (normally in the door pocket) a licence plate and poss a sat nav cradle. By the same token, look for disturbed interior trim where an ariel cable may have been run.

It looks like it has leather… If it's been a cab the rest of the interior will wear at a similar rate to the drivers seat. Baggy seat squabs? If it's cloth, be brave and put your face to the seat. Take a deep sniff and see if it smells of any of the following – kebab, baby milk, 9 year old farts, spilt beer or puke.

That's all I can offer short of actually checking licence records. Might be worth firing off an email to each of the licencing officers to check

I did this last bit- go onto a few local councils websites -type in 'Taxi licensing' then ping them a nice email with the reg number asking if that reg has EVER been listed. You will get confirmation back either way.

Do it for a few boroughs though.

Flaperon

You might also find that the radio is permanently jammed on an obscure non-English AM religious station.

glenh
    Free Member

Why does it matter if it's been a taxi or not?
    Either it's in good condition or shite. Doesn't really matter how it got there does it?

hora
    Free Member

glenh because that could mean the car has been clocked unless you dont mind paying overbook for a high miler. What you think would be a goodtime to carry out a cambelt change might actually be totally the opposite. Etc.

You might also find that the radio is permanently jammed on an obscure non-English AM religious station.

I once test drive a 44kmiles Accord that was the loosest car I have ever driven. I decided to turn the stereo on as I fiddled around and on popped a Bhangra CD.

Bit obvious- the service book was brand new looking and had all the same stamps/handwriting.

odannyboy
    Free Member

oh dear, i thought they were logged somewhere.not good…

hora
    Free Member

Have you bought it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘how do i tell if a car has been used as a taxi?’ is closed to new replies.