Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • How do i stop these STW page advert pop ups taking over????
  • qwerty
    Free Member

The keep taking over with a small crap advert on my page that i then have to close down & it then repeats all over again.

Only on my laptop, not my mobile 🙁

cp

officially? Buy a P

oliverracing

What adds? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It has to be said it’s getting stupid with the ads on mobile. A redirect to the app store every few clicks and Maserati adverts. If revenue is the desire, it’s not working, because I just shut it down every time. My Mac gets rid of everything for me though.

maccruiskeen

If its a rogue ad (rather than a campaign that you don’t like) it might only be effecting a few users as not everyone gets served the same ads

Take a screen grab – maybe get the URL that the ad is leading to and email it to tech @ stw

qwerty
    Free Member

Any comment from those who work here? 🙁

maccruiskeen

A redirect to the app store every few clicks

Thats not happen for a year or so has it?

maccruiskeen

Any comment from those who work here?

they’re working not browsing – email them

SaxonRider

Ads are so four-months-ago. /smug

maccruiskeen

Whats a screen grab???

A picture of the screen – I don’t use a PC but command-shift-4 on a mac – So that the advert can be seen in the context of the page – it helps the tech team (I might use the word ‘team’ incorrectly) can get some clues as to what the ad is and where its coming from.

But no point posting it here – read the forum help and email the people concerned

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone else get the page flashing black a few times then loading.

Or sometimes just one advert loads.

Or sometimes that full page DWP ad.

maccruiskeen

Yes – I think the way the page load has changed a bit since the side bars changed from grey to black

Or sometimes just one advert loads.

Or sometimes that full page DWP ad.

Not had either of those things

Qwerty – in your email to the techs let them know what operating system and browser you’re using too.

scotroutes

When you are emailing the mods it might be worth telling them what device and operating system yoy are using.

I recently logged out of STW on my phone just to see what it looks like for the non-Ps and didn’t get anything other than the expected ads.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The P doesn’t help that much either.

currently getting logged out at least once a week on 4 devices despite not closing pages or shutting down, and then having to wait ages for all the crap to get out of the way before the log in link appears.

Not happy. I don’t want a maserati

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Stay with it – I got as free watch and car after a while. Bargain…

The car company even remind me everyday of how nice it is with a free screensaver 😉

Cougar

Any comment from those who work here?

What Mac said.

currently getting logged out at least once a week on 4 devices despite not closing pages or shutting down, and then having to wait ages for all the crap to get out of the way before the log in link appears.

Bookmark http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=forum/forum

benp1

We need some Audi adverts

andytherocketeer

Yes on Android (nexus 5, marshmallow, latest everything, stock chrome browser).

Flashes black 3 times, then loads.

My adblocking there is called pinch-zoom (well unpinch to be pedantic), to zoom in enough to read the thread text all ads then get zoomed off the screen so I don’t see them 😉

Not seen anything full page.

kayak23

Constantly flashing when loading.
    Constantly get logged out.
    Constantly get ‘Rats! WebGL hit a snag’ pop-up
    Constantly get ‘What tyre’ threads..

Still, keeps you on your toes.

qwerty
    Free Member

If you use chrome as your web browser, then install an ad-blocking extension (I use AdBlock) just google ‘chrome adblock extension’ to be taken to the chrome store to install. This removes pretty much all ads from your general web browsing.

Seems to have sorted it 🙂

Dickyboy

Naughty naughty

qwerty
    Free Member

Naughty naughty

robdob
    Free Member

Well everyone does it its just you can’t talk about it.

Like a rubbish version of Fight Club. 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Ok, i’ve just read:

Our policy on Ad Blocking

Singletrackworld is an ad supported website. As a non-premier, registered user you are accepting that the displaying of ads in your browser is the cost of being a registered user and you agree that you will not block these ads. If you block the ads we reserve the right to suspend your account and/or block our content from displaying in your browser. In addition you agree not to promote the use of ad blocking on our site in either story comments or forum posts.

The ads in a very real sense do allow you to use this site without having to hand over cash for the content. If the ads were not there earning us money for the time we spend keeping this site running and filling it with content then we simply would not bother with a website at all or we would severely strip it back to just being a promotion site for the mag. It simply would not be economically viable without the ads there.

Unblocked ads, but seriously, their a very negative/frustrating experience, making the site pretty much unusable via laptop.

scotroutes

You could, you know, support the continued existence of the site in another way. One which would remove the ads too….

Mark

4p a day.

And you get to read the mag… every mag… going back 15 years.

4p!

The froth of your pint!

The ads are not designed to be annoying – they are just necessary.

But again… 4p!

10p/day and we even send you a printed version of the mag 8 times a year.

..but!

If there are ads that go beyond the pale then do contact us and let us know about them. We actually do want to strike that balance of your time here being worth it and if they go too far then it’s not working for us either.

The flashing page load issue is a result of the way the remnant ads kick in. Tech is aware of it and are looking at ways to minimise that.

The maserati campaign is for iPads only. With all these things there is a certain amount of ‘leakage’ around the edges and you may be unlucky and see that on a phone. It’s designed to display once only per visit to the site and it ends on the 31st March.

The reason Maserati come to us with their ads is because..
    1 – There are 1.7 million users a month coming to this site
    2 – The demographic average is way above average earnings and believe it or not they do get a good response from our site.

Annoying ads behaving how they shouldn’t? mark@singletrackworld.com and I’ll give it my personal attention.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Can you read the mag archive in the app, or is it a browser-only thing?

scotroutes

I assume Android users are the wrong demographic for Maseratis.

Richie_B

The ads were taking over the screen on both apple and android for me yesterday. The page would load but as soon as the ads loaded the screen would grey out and just show one ad. As I remember it wasn’t the Maserati add but a couple of the ads on the side bar.

phiiiiil

Weeeeeell fine, maybe I was going to buy a maserati but I won’t now because I haven’t got and don’t want an ipad.

*goes off in a huff*

Mark

That’s a bug with a particular ad network that I have reported. I’m keeping a close eye on it but would appreciate you emailing me if it happens again.

Mark

Can you read the mag archive in the app, or is it a browser-only thing?

You can’t go back before the start of your subscription to read issues in the app I’m afraid. The early issues are accessible only through our own mag archive on the site here. The reason is that the app issues are run through a third party company (Magazine Cloner/ Pocketmags) and for each issue you read in the app we pay them actual money. If you could go back and read all 15 years worth of issues through the app we’d have to charge you £70 just to cover the costs.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I see, thanks – didn’t know if there was something wrong with my app thing or not.

kayak23

scotroutes – Member
    I assume Android users are the wrong demographic for Maseratis.

Must be. I’m getting Daewooo on my MotoG 😉

kayak23

deadkenny
    Free Member

The archive does let you download them as PDF and other formats though.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I get ‘Professianl Pampering‘ with my Big Blue P sub and all for less than a kebab meat and chips (with extra sauce)

Nice chap called Ramone (he doesn’t do wednesday 🙁 )

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘How do i stop these STW page advert pop ups taking over????’ is closed to new replies.