Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How do I stop samsung s4 converting long text messages to mms?
  • iolo
    Free Member

As above. The recipient can’t open mms.
    Thanks in advance.

CountZero

Surely something in settings somewhere?

skeetsgb
    Free Member

you cant

any message you compose that has 480 characters or more will be converted into an MMS. This is a restriction on SMS technology, I think?, due to the amount of data involved.

In fact the limit is 160 characters per text but latest technology allows you to string 3 x 160 blocks together as one message, then it’s up to the receiving device to put the 3 blocks together as they were composed.

So either break up your messages into 480 character messages, carry on composing and send as MMS, or send an email instead.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve looked everywhere. I am however a bit thick so probably missed it.

mogrim

People still send SMS?

Cougar

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it do that; I regularly get (and send) multi-part SMSes. I’d guess it’s either something Samsung-specific or something your provider’s doing.

Try using a different SMS application, eg GoSMS maybe?

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ve only just upgraded from iphone 4 and never had any problems.

lowey

Use Whatsapp.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

iolo how long is the message you are trying to send?

Tebbalot
    Free Member

I remember looking into this and solved it somehow. I think it was by using Gosmspro

gmex619
    Free Member

Same on my note 2. Htc 1 and other phones. Sms has a small data limit. Beyond it you use mms settings. Best bet is send in parts.

iolo
    Free Member

whatsapp is not an option as her phone is a 12 year old nokia.
    The sms was about 1000 characters. I just spilt it into smaller chunks and sent it that way.
    Thanks for your help

paranoid365
    Free Member

Sorry if I’m late to the party, and I didn’t want to resurrect an old thread, but I felt the question hadn’t been answered.

SMS message may get converted to MMS message in the following situations:

1) When sending a long SMS message

In some devices the message type gets converted from SMS text message to MMS multimedia message if the message length exceeds the device-specific setting which is typically 5-10 SMS submessages (around 760-1520 characters). If the message is longer, it is converted to MMS to avoid potential issues in handling long text messages in the recipient device. The cost of a SMS message consisting of several concatenated submessages may also be higher than the cost of a single MMS message.

The conversion from SMS text message to MMS multimedia message occurs when the automatic message type is selected in the message options. This is the default mode where the device tries to automatically select the best mode for the message.

The conversion from SMS to MMS can be avoided by selecting Options > Sending options > Message type > Text when in the Text message window writing the message. The message is then always sent as SMS text message and no conversion to MMS occurs.

The maximum number of concatenated SMS submessages can be up to 10 (around 1520 characters). In multimedia mode the message length can be longer.

cp

Weird.

There’s not even an ad link in there. Subliminal message somehow?

Cougar

Thanks, Curtis.

paranoid365
    Free Member

You’re very welcome Cougar, and thanks for having me 8)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

lowey – Member
    Use Whatsapp.

This

user-removed
    Free Member

Not possible due to the fact that

…her phone is a 12 year old nokia

iolo – buy the poor girl a decent phone for Christmas.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How do I stop samsung s4 converting long text messages to mms?’ is closed to new replies.