Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How do I stop my seatpost slipping when using a plastic seatpost shim?
  • Steveo

I’ve just bought a USE Thermoplastic seatpost shim for using a gravity dropper (27.2mm) on an SX Trail (30.9mm seat-tube internal diameter). I’m using a Hope QR seatpost clamp as I will still want to drop the post as low as it will go on occasion. I have done it up pretty tight but the post slips down very easily and from side to side.
    Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?
    Thanks

MrAgreeable

I expect your seat clamp is a bit dirty – there might be some mud or grit between the cam and the brass bushing. If this happens it can feel like you’re clamping it up tightly but you’re not. Give it a clean and grease and it should sort it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

By coincidence, I have a USE shim on my desk this morning. Box says you must not grease between the shim and the post. Have you?

keavo
    Free Member

i find the thermoplastic shims undersized. currently using one 0.2mm bigger than i should need and it all fits together perfect, no slipping.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I used the same shim for a GD on my turner (30.9 also) and found it to be loose. Measuring the shim diameter whilst on the post and it came out about 30.7mm so I ended up getting a 31.0mm alloy one from the CRC flood sale which is a perfect fit.

They still have em too!

CRC

0range5

arraldite..?!

If you get no joy, get a metal shim instead. Chainreaction used to do them, think they still do. edit – just noticed the above link!

Steveo

thanks everyone. It does appear to be slightly smaller than stated so i have now ordered a metal one by a different manufacturer.
    Cheers

zangolin
    Free Member

Maybe try lightly roughing up the shim with a pit of wet + dry.
    Hairspray sometimes works as well – just gives it that bit of ‘tack’.

BearBack
    Free Member

use carbon assembly paste.. its almost a toothpaste type substance with suspended particles in it.. at least thats what the Scott carbon paste is like. Presumably it helps it grab?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How do I stop my seatpost slipping when using a plastic seatpost shim?’ is closed to new replies.