Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How do I repair a hole in a tubeless tyre?
  • si66
    Free Member

I’m just trying out a tubeless set up and got a small (3mm) tear in the tread area of my Hans Dampfs.
    I’ve tried normal puncture patches and those clear Park patches and neither seal for more than 5 minutes.
    What’s the technique to fix this or am I back to tubes?
    Ta

parkesie
    Free Member

Cleaning the area around it with sand papper and using a big m/cycle patch.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Open up hole, drop in some super glue, allow it to relax and close up again, never failed for me. Worthwhile cleaning up the residue on the inside of the tyre at some point though, it hardens (obviously and can wear through a tube if you have to put a tube in there) I actually glue a standard inner tube repair patch on the inside to cover up the area (not to seal the hole, as the superglues done that, but just to protect a tube from any hardened super glue should I need to put a tube in three again)
    I think all my tyres running tubeless have a repair like this at some point on the tread. Done once you shouldnt have to worry about it again.

wwaswas

for that size hole I’ve plugged with anchovies and left them in for month with no problems.

VanHalen

the problem i have is findign the holes again post ride after everything is covered in crap and goo.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Pickled or raw ?

teasel
    Free Member

Anchovies down there *points*

On the righthand side…

Stevelol
    Free Member

I recently repaired a fairly long (5mm) tear in the sidewall of a Bontrager mud-x, using a regular mtb patch wasn’t enough, the patches are too thin so when the tyre was inflated it bulged out lots.

I installed a car tyre patch over the existing patch, these ones are much much thicker, it still bulges a bit but has been holding air (tubeless) ever since, that’s about 4 or 5 rides now.

As someone said, it’s very important to install the patch correctly, clean the area well (isopropyl alcohol will help) roughen it up nicely, let the glue dry (so it’s not tacky) before you apply the patch, clamp the patch on to the tyre too, I used a pestle as I don’t have any clamps 😀

clubber
    Free Member

+1 for anchovies. Work really well.

grum
    Free Member

Those anchovies work really well IME. You can usually cut them down as you don’t need a whole one per repair.

warpcow
    Free Member

Anchovies didn’t work for me, I think because my hole was just between the sidewall and side-knobs, so was getting stretched and pulled at during cornering (I tried glue/vulcanising solution/liquisole too, which lasted a little longer but still failed in the end). A quick clean with alcohol and an ordinary puncture repair patch on the inside of the tyre has been working for over 6 months now.

si66
    Free Member

Cheers folks

Northwind

Patching inside’s easy with proper (ie not selfadhesive) patches- just wipe off the sealant, splatch on the vulcanising (nearly said galvanising) solution, wait, stick on tiny patch. Air pressure keeps it on after all so it doesn’t need to be that strong, it just needs to stay in place.

If the cut/tear wants to open up when inflated, a wee stitch can help.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Regular patch on the inside

Superglue if the tear is long and “bulgey”

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

there’s some flexible superglue out now – Power Flex it’s called.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I’ve fixed loads of torn tyres (some big tares too) by patching them on the inside with a piece cut from the side wall of an old tyre. Glue it in place using Seam Grip, it’s a flexible polyurethane adhesive meant for sealing seams on tents. You can get it from pretty much any outdoor shop. Works a treat! 😀

andylc
    Free Member

I just use a self-adhesive patch but with added Evo-stick impact adhesive. Would use normal patches but I’ve got self adhesive ones left over from when I used inner tubes!

Kahurangi

Anchovies work really well. The ones up there ^ are really tacky and stay in. Also sold by Weldtite. Never had one fail.

I tried some panaracer ones that were awful – they just popped out.

I’ve also used a regular tube repair patch on the inside of a longer tear. It worked but bulged so I replaced the tyre.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Ive used this kit on a fairly large hole..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/velox-ust-tubeless-repair-kit/

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Slice up some old inner tube into small strips and keep in bag with jewellers screwdriver and patch glue. Put glue in and around the tear then shove the strips in with the screwdriver. Let it dry. The goop left in the tyre should now seal it. Ideally trim off anything left sticking out.

messiah
    Free Member

weldtite do a puncture repair “Patch Strip” thing which is a big rubber sheet so you can cut any size of patch. I use these so I can increase the area of the patch and stick on multiple layers if the hole or tear is large and the first patch bulges through.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cut a square of inner tube and super glue it on the side.

frankz
    Free Member

I had quite a successful repair of a ripped road tyre with superglue and the finger of a Marigold glove. Amazing what you can do when desperate in the NW Highlands!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How do I repair a hole in a tubeless tyre?’ is closed to new replies.