Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How do i make this?
  • RustyNissanPrairie

I’m trying to produce an aluminum frame section that requires the following corner section. I only want a dozen or so pieces so I don’t want to go down the tooling for deep drawing press route. My usual local tin bashing company (basic metal folding/forming equipment – no CNC capabilities) cannot do them. The easiest way I figured was to make it in 2 parts then weld them together but this may become economically unviable.

I have access to laser/water jet cutting so can cut the un formed blanks – but its what I economically do with them from there.

This isnt a commercial venture – its for a personal project, the Solidworks package is my employers.

TIA

free photo hosting

adult image

imagehost

mickmcd
    Free Member

turn two flanges and cut them into quarters you will get two usable quarters at least

TooTall
    Free Member

Put that together 4 times, make a circle and get it turned / milled then cut it into 4 quarters to give you what you have there. It would be far easier to make round then cut.

Does it have to be metal? 3D printing could also be your friend if strength isn’t an issue.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

Cast it and polish it? How accurate does it need to be?

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks for the replies!

I like the idea of making a full circular then dividing it – I’ve been stuck in the train of thought of just making a quadrant. Good thinking!

It does have to aluminium as it is welded to some simple press brake formed sections to make the complete rectangular shaped frame.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

As suggestions above, turn as a one piece then get it wire eroded and you will get 4 usable quadrants.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How do i make this?’ is closed to new replies.