• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How do I make my Gravel bike lighter – singular kite content
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

XL frame

105 11 speed groupset

CX-50 chainset

Hope pro3 on stans crest 29er wheels

TRP spyre

WTB nano 38 tubeless

Thomson elite post and San Marco regal

Ritchey alloy bar and stem (ain’t going carbon!)

Not sure how much it weighs but it’s not light! For me it’s wheels, what could I get that would shave some lbs but still be tough enough for bike packing on fire roads? Alternatively hydro brakes? Ultegra compact chainset?

simondbarnes

The chainset is super heavy as are the hubs. Thomson posts aren’t light.

(edit – but I suspect you’re not going to end up with a light bike without changing pretty much everything)

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Frankly, Gravel bikes are not supposed to be light in my opinion. On my cheapo Ridley, I have removed the outer ring and front mech, installed a mechless front chainring, 36t, and a wide-ratio rear block, 11-36. But this is all in the interests of functionality.

I ride mine like a rigid MTB. Ride it as it is, and ride it hard. Replace things when they break. You won’t have any more fun with a lighter set of wheels!

househusband

Is it not a reasonably heavy frame as a starting point..? Especially if you have the Singular steel forks too…

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, buying a bike with a 2.2kg+ frame is the wrong thing to do if you want a light bike.

Bez

Well, firstly I’d chuck £3 or something on some fishing scales from eBay and find out exactly what your starting point is.

Then decide how much cash you want to throw at it.

Then throw those two numbers back to STW and get some advice 😉

Seems to me you’re probably not far off the point of diminishing returns in terms of kit. XL steel framesets aren’t light: you’ll be a good kilo over an alu/carbon equivalent IME, so you’re unlikely to get under about 11kg or so without a pile of cash.

john_l
    Free Member

Especially if you have the Singular steel forks too…

Suspect this is the disc Kite?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

SRAM Red chainset
    Swap the groupset to SRAM or Campag
    Carbon seatpost
    Carbon railed saddle
    Carbon bottle cages
    DT 240 hubs or cheapo Bitex

whitestone
    Free Member

What weight is the bike now?

Hope Pro3? – since these aren’t in Hope’s current line up I’m assuming they are either fairly old or some custom build using old stock.

Hard to tell from a quick search what the weight of your hub/rim combo is but the Hope Pro4 wheels come in at around 1600g – 1700g depending on rim for the set which isn’t much different from the likes of DT Swiss, etc. – you might save 150g swapping to the DT Swiss R23 wheelset for example.

Upgrading your chainset to the CX-70 would save you 200g.

As Simon’s noted, you are going to have to change a lot of things to see any significant weight saving.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ye it’s Kite disc.

Re above point about not needing it to be light, use as a mtb etc I somewhat agree. Was just shocked to feel the difference to my mates Mason. I know that’s probably a kilo lighter frame.

Yes old wheels, came off a mtb, think they’re 1700g. Maybe I’ll start with changing chainset, ultegra 6800 compact looks approx 200g lighter. Then have a look around for wheels.

Not a race bike so not super important, not gonna start upgrading finishing kit to carbon. Just wouldn’t mind dropping a kilo if I could, but maybe wishful thinking! Frame is super nice to ride, just a little heavy.

Bez

If it helps, I recently saved 200g off my gravel bike chainset (I stupidly stripped the threads on the square tapers and I happened to have the lighter one kicking about, so it was a free upgrade). Unsurprisingly it’s made no difference to anything. I’d say unless you’re going to throw piles of cash at upgrading everything, enough to make a real difference, you’re probably best saving the spending untill stuff wears out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How do I make my Gravel bike lighter – singular kite content’ is closed to new replies.