Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How do I know if my Conti tyres are Black Chilli ??
  • TheWrongTrousers

Is there an easy way of telling ?
    It’s not mentioned on the tyres themselves, they’re brand new UST 2.2 Trail Kings.
    I’m pretty sure I ordered BC but I’ve chucked away the packaging and forgot to check.
    My old Rubber Queens had ‘Handmade in Germany’ on them which I think signified they were BC, but don’t think that applies any more and these new ones don’t have that.
    Ta !

timba
    Free Member

This table gives compounds Trail King (formerly known as Rubber Queen, hence URL)

timmys

There’s also the sidewall mounding;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/black-chilli-tyres#post-6003205

…but if the Handmade in Germany thing has gone maybe the rules have changed.

nach
    Free Member

They should have little black chilis moulded between the tread blocks, like this:

That might only go for recent ones though, I dunno. The one above also has the checkerboard sidewall pattern, but I thought that just signified the beefier Protection sidewalls though. It came from Tredz, so you can assume it was recent distributor stock 😀

Northwind

Try and ride round a corner. If you don’t die, they’re black chili.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Try and ride round a corner. If you don’t die, they’re black chili.

😀 with you on that one.

timmys

They should have little black chilis moulded between the tread blocks, like this:

I’m afraid to break this to you, but that’s a crown not a chilli (your point might well still stand though).

chiefgrooveguru

I’m afraid to break this to you, but that’s a crown not a chilli (your point might well still stand though).

Even the cheap plastic wire bead Continentals have the crowns moulded in between the tread blocks – one type of crown for the various Kings and a different one for the old Rubber Queens but I’m not sure if that’s changed since they changed name.

If they’re made in Germany they’re black chili, if they’re not then they’re not. It looks like Continental have a new compound which sits between the black chili and plastic suicide compounds, called pure grip.

nach
    Free Member

Ah, I might be completely wrong then, and probably am. Thanks timmys, and sorry OP.

I thought it was a habanero, but GIS shows a least a couple of other crown designs molded onto different tyres, and retooling just to mold with a different compound would get really unnecessarily expensive.

philfive
    Free Member

They say “made in Germany” on them and the sidewall has a checkered pattern,

danielgroves
    Free Member

And, that is on the cheap ones too 😀

Potdog
    Free Member

Lick them, If your tongue starts to burn then they’re the chilli ones 😉

TheWrongTrousers

This table gives compounds Trail King (formerly known as Rubber Queen, hence URL)

Think this implies that the only UST 26″ 2.2’s that they do now are Blck Chilli, there is no other option.
    Which tallies with what I remember when ordering
    Thanks all

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How do I know if my Conti tyres are Black Chilli ??’ is closed to new replies.