Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How do I know if my chimney is really a chimney?
  • Kryton57

Yes I know is sounds obvious but…

Downstairs at the back of the house I have a closed fireplace. Its just the “space” in the “chimney breast”, I thought “Great, when we get a new Kitchen a woodburner will go in there quite nicely”. Except;

Above it, the is nothing, but my daughters room has a closed fireplace as well, and that goes up to the middle / shared chimney (London victorian semi)in the loft but looking from a side on view that chimney is about 5ft to the right of the one below – imagine the R/H edge of the downstairs one being in the same place as the L/H of the upstairs one.

Its is possible that they are connected through the floors somehow and if so how do I find out? Or perhaps more likely, has the downstairs chimney been moved across 5 ft to take it out of the current kitchen area in to the breakfast area yet kept for visual purpose?

jam-bo

smoke bomb and see where the smoke comes out?

Kryton57

I should have mentioned “without knocking a hole in the downstairs potentially faux fireplace”

molgrips
    Free Member

Small boy?

jools182
    Free Member

do you get presents on the morning of the 25th December?

trail_rat
    Free Member

how many pots you got…..

ive got three pots – and ive got 3 fire places.

upstairs bedroom is the middle pot. living room is the front pot and the kitchens the rear pot.

all three condense into an area around the upstairs fire place fairly closely – if you didnt know it looks like a single chimnney breast. – my living room one strafes across the wall at a steep angle to do so – you can see the alcoves boxed in to allow it to do so.

sounds similar to yours.

Kryton57

trail_rat – Member
    how many pots you got…..

ive got three pots – and ive got 3 fire places.

upstairs bedroom is the middle pot. living room is the front pot and the kitchens the rear pot.

all three condense into an area around the upstairs fire place fairly closely – if you didnt know it looks like a single chimnney breast. – my living room one strafes across the wall at a steep angle to do so – you can see the alcoves boxed in to allow it to do so.

sounds similar to yours.

Thas probably answered my question. So our house is an “L” shape with the kitchen/diner at the top of that L on the bottom floor, and my daughter’s room above it.

There are two pots in the adjoining chimney, I guess one for us one for the neighbours. I had a look in the loft and the chimney goes straight up from my daughters room. There is no stack(?) to the left of it where the downstairs chimney is, and no signs of any work beyond the original brickwork.

The odd thing is, the “faux” chimney is of solid construction (determined via a knock test) and the space above the fireplace has a more hollow less solid sound – as if it WERE a fireplace which has been blocked.

Why would you build a chimney for effect so solidly and so effectively fake?

Northwind

Get someone to shit down it

jools182
    Free Member

@Northwind – choking on my tea 😆

Kryton57

I’m beginning to despair with social media and people within it ^^ after having my twitter account abused and removed over the weekend.

Just a simple question really, no need for all that.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Local chimney sweep came and checked ours for a small fee, though being in a 4 floor tenement, I had limited options in being able to check it myself as there was no way I was getting up on the roof myself!

Nobby

Have you asked next door? I guess they should have a mirror image of your set up and may actually use it/not have it blocked up.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I think NW was referring to this, Kryton:

http://beforeitsnews.com/strange/2013/10/man-looking-for-person-who-shat-down-his-chimney-2451876.html

To answer your question- I’d get a sweep in to inspect- should be £50 or so quid.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How do I know if my chimney is really a chimney?’ is closed to new replies.