Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How do i know if music is DRM protected
  • fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

So just got myself an S3 and have just copied some songs from my itunes library and some wouldn’t transfer because they were protected by DRM, so how do i know if a song im buying is protected my DRM?

Thanks in advance

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Bump

CountZero

Not sure, about the only way I can think of is by date; before April 2010, IIRC, Apple were obliged to have DRM as they insisted on a single price for all tracks. Eventually, in order to do away with DRM they had to agree to the music business model of different prices for songs and albums. Any that you find won’t work, just drag them into a playlist, then, once you think you’ve found all of the DRM’d ones, burn a cd or DVD from that playlist then re-rip it back into iTunes; that way the DRM will no longer affect copying to your S3.
    There might be an alternative way via iTunes, but you’ll need to search through Apple help forums, or Apple.com help.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Don’t buy from Apple seems to be the short answer.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Thanks for the help ive managed to get most of the songs over just about 20 that i cant because they are Drm protected.

allthegear
    Free Member

Songs purchased from the iTunes Store used to be DRM protected. They stopped doing that quite a few years ago but, of course, you might have some left in your library from the time.

“normal” AAC tracks purchased from iTunes have the file extension .m4a and “protected” ones have the file extension .m4p

Hope that helps

Rachel

Cougar

I don’t imagine it’s a huge task to strip DRM anyway. Never done it personally but I’m sure google would be able to tell you how.

CountZero

Don’t buy from Apple seems to be the short answer.

Oh please, grow up! 🙄
    Don’t you bother actually reading what I said? The DRM was there because the record industry insisted on it if Apple set up a music store. Clear now? Only when Apple agreed to the variable price the record industry insisted on could they remove the DRM. That’s why Apple made a loophole, by burning a cd of DRM’d songs and re-ripping them, thus removing the DRM! The DRM is no longer applied to music bought through iTunes.
    All books bought through iBooks are DRM’d. So are those bought through Amazon, Kobo, etc. that’s nothing to do with Apple, everything to do with the publishers.

zokes
    Free Member

everything to do with the publishers.

Who no doubt still wonder why piracy is rife 🙄

I_Ache
    Free Member

What about DRM Movies? Can these be transferred to an Android device?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How do i know if music is DRM protected’ is closed to new replies.