Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How do I keep myself sane – injury content.
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

I have managed to tear both my medial and lateral menisci on my left knee. This is not a good thing. How do you suggest I keep myself sane when biking and any other weightbearing leg based sport is out of the window for a few months?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Learn a different hobby like playing the guitar till you mend?

duckers
    Free Member

Swimming could be an option if theres a gym (best option) or public baths (got to pick your times) near you. If you find kicking too much just arm pull.
    I feel your pain, im injured and its killing me.

wwaswas

Buy a new bike.

It’s what I always end up doing when I’m injured for a while. Something to look forward to and building it up whiles some time away.

orangeorange
    Free Member

I feel your pain (literally),tore my medial meniscus last year and it took a while to recover,really spiteful little injury that one !
    Im currently recovering from having fair amount of skin cancer taken from 2 sites,and as much as I really missed my escapism through biking ive really enjoyed having lots of rest and time doing nothing too,i really needed it though.
    Swimmings a great idea if you are able to, maybe use the recovery time as a training camp to strengthen other areas of your body,its surprising what you can achieve with a few months of repetition and itll still feel as though you`re making gains in strength for when youre back biking again.
    Injuries sure suck though

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pron, ps4, wheel building, guitar, beer brewing, lego, cooking, core strengthening

RoterStern
    Free Member

Use the time to start planning your next new bike! Gives you something to look forward to! 🙂

chambord
    Free Member

orangeorange, don’t use the backtick as an apostrophe, it turns monospace mode on :).

I’ve done something similar wanmankylung, I thought I’d get fit after new year by running and I’ve done something terrible to my left knee. Really hurts to walk, but still OK on the road bike. Haven’t dared the MTB yet.

Haven’t really found anything good to do with my time though, just writing myself a website but it’s not much fun so I don’t recommend it.

nickname
    Free Member

sat here, week 2 with a broken (pinned) olecranon, broken collarbone and ribs too. I’ve managed to get on the turbo for a bit, but spend a good amount of time watching Netflix (love it!).

Also buying a few bits online, waiting on a montane gilet as I can’t get my cast into my current jackets 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Turbo for me. But as you know it’s my shoulder not knees. When I did my medial I took up drinking and womanizing. Not saying everyone can get away with it.

onehundredthidiot

PS2 and “Black”, keeps me sane through prelim marking.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Thanks Chambord,I was wondering why that kept happening !

I_Ache
    Free Member

In just coming out of the other side, I had an operation on my dodgy ankle 3 1/2 months ago and in the past week have been able to walk without a crutch and am now allowed to do a little bit of road riding. It’s not perfect and I’m still limping but I’m getting there.

Luckily for me work rented me an automatic car (it was my left ankle) so I could at least get around and even pop to the pub to see my mates. It’s quite a miracle that I have strangled anybody yet.

Kunstler

I wanted to recommend a physio who’s good with knees but the thought gave me a paradox headache.

teef
    Free Member

I was off the bike for 9 months and I found it was best to avoid even thinking about mountain biking all together – it just reminded me of what I was missing. I started swimming again and haven’t stopped even though I’m back biking now.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Go on to this website http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk and spend some money and then in a day or two embrace the best ever way of whiling away the hours. I got one 6 months ago and it is now my absolute favourite way of wasting time. Even my 4 yr old has learnt a couple of chords and how to strum.

iainc

Just got back on a bike last week, 2 months after surgery for prostate cancer. Lots of surfing, buying new bike bits, got a bit fat, pretty boring.

As for the keeping sane bit, that was easy – there’s always folk a lot worse off.

hora
    Free Member

Can you go-kart? If its strapped it should be ok?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ouch. Sympathy. I was forced off feet for years, and was arguably insane because of it, mostly because of pain, I could deal with a wheelchair, just made me angry and militantly hungry to recover but prolonged intense pain makes you mental. What stopped me going postal was Tomb Raider, Half Life, Flight Unlimited. Lots of Flight Unlimited. Back then I could only dream of the games on offer today. Yet if I had that time again I’d use it to learn something awesome/make with my hands. Have since learned to paint, yet wish had started earlier. But pain can be a funny thing with concentration. Be good to yourself is the main thing, be patient. If you feel ok re pain is managed but just bored then why not become awesome at something different? (Insert mantomime grade bawdy joke here). All the best with recovery.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I fear the conduct of his fellow racers would cause unimaginable anguish.

ampthill

Swimming

Photography, taking pictures and working on post processing

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eevH9c]Houghton-house-sunny-with-fringes-web[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

Taken after about 400m on crutches from the car. It felt really exciting as it was my longest limp upto that point and I didn’t know if I could make it back up the hill

Oh and I use to make tea in the garden with my Kelly Kettle, so I was outdoors more. I think realising that part of what I missed was being outdoors helped alot

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How do I keep myself sane – injury content.’ is closed to new replies.