Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • how do I identify my s/h hope hubs ?
  • ericj
    Free Member

Hi, I have a pair of wheels off a s/h bike, As they may need a service shortly I'd like to know what model they are before I strip them down in case I need spare parts for them. They are hope hubs with mavic 517 rims and standard quick releases. Probably circa 5 years old. The hubs are 32 hole with 5 bolt 165 mm hope discs on a plain alloy spider thingy, they are pale blue anodised with a grey centre which has an oval hope sticker with green lettering.
    Any ideas how I can tell what they might be ?
    Also is it possible to change the disc carrier to use standard 6 bolt dics ?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They are a lot older than 5 years, nearer 10! sound like original XC hubs with Ti centres to me, mono bodies came in around 9 years ago ring up Hope and ask them, they'll be able to tell you if spares are still available.

trail_rat
    Free Member

they could be older bulbs or sports – have had both looking similar to your description

cant be changed to 6 bolt afaik.

probably more like circa 10-15 years old than 5 though

i had a set of all one colour black sports with 6 bolt hubs in 99….these predate those !

z1ppy

IIRC Hope will custom make you new (5 bolt) brake rotors if you want bigger ones (not cheap but an option)

ericj
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for all the help, they sound like the original xc hubs with ti bodies. I'll give hope a ring about spares.

coatesy
    Free Member

If they have grey centres they'll be Ti-glide XC.

sslowpace
    Free Member

I believe hope will still be able to supply you with discs for the hubs.

lovewookie

IIRC they use the same bearings as the newer, non pro II hubs. 6001 2RS (I think)in the back, 4 of them. Don't know about the front as I've never had to change them.

The pawls and springs didn't change through the years, neither did the freehub body.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I contacted Hope a couple of months ago about my bust rear hub – it was a 90s ti centre XC hub as you describe. I was told that they are too old and they don't carry any spares for them anymore, but would exchange it for a new Pro II for about £60.

ericj
    Free Member

Hope have told me that these use the same spares as their XC hubs and that spares are available from the normal outlets.

coatesy
    Free Member

Wrong about the pawls not changing, earlier pawls were much larger than later ones, and the freehub bodies had open cutouts for them, later ones had a bottom to the cutout.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘how do I identify my s/h hope hubs ?’ is closed to new replies.